lighting question

bama man

I have a PC light setup that has four 55 watt daylight bulbs, two 55 watt actinics, and 4 blue "moonlight" LEDs. The electrical outlet nearest the DT is a double recepticle. I took out ine of them and replaced it with a GFI. I also wired the other recepticle to the GFI. This protected both recepticles.
Do you normally use the daylights and the actinics at the same time? The reason I ask is because when I plug in both they trip the GFI. If you only use one or the other I can put them on a timer thereby using only either daylights or actinics. What do I need to do?

dragonzim

If they are standard PC's and are working properly there is no way that they should be tripping your GFCI. Do you know how many amps that circuit is rated for? I've got a 6 bulb T5 fixture, heater, 2 powerheads and a protein skimmer all running off the same GFCI on a 10 amp breaker.
Sounds like there may be a problem with either the GFCI or the light fixture.

O

osubeast

I too have a lighting problem
I currently have a 120 and wish to be able to put any type of coral in it in the future without having insufficiant lighting. The LFS said I could go with the 2-150w/HQI2-130 metal halides. I have a 120 gallon tank that is 4' long and 2' wide. Will this lighting system be sufficient? I would go with the 250's but I live in Florida and the electric bills already kill me and keeping the tank at a proper temperature is also a concern. I would really like to avoid buying a chiller.
Also, Approximately how much powerheads etc... should I look into? Currently I have a 9.5 mag. return pump in the refugium turned about 1/2 on and two 802 powerheads and I smaller one (around 250GPH)

mr_x

i would look into some koralia 4's to replace those 802's. if you plan to keep sps you are going to need alot more flow. if i remember correctly, those 802's are only 400gph.
i think two 150 watt halides would work, but 250's would work better and i don't think the amount of heat between the two would be that noticable. in other words, if you don't need a chiller for a couple 150's, you most likely wont' for 250's. the difference between the two fixtures is only 200 watts. your not going to see a significant difference in electric consumption. it's the tank as a whole that draws the electric...lights, return pumps, powerheads, skimmer...bla bla bla...
you could also look into a t-5 fixture. it would save you some heat and possibly some electric.

bama man

Thanks Dragon, I bought a timer tonight and checked out everything. I couldn't get it to trip. I must not have gotten the GFI reset good after I tested it the other night. I don't know? I have everything plugged in now and all is well.