Lighting Question

maryg

I am looking for Santa to bring me a new light for Christmas for my 55 gallon. (Yes! I have been a good girl!!)
I have narrowed it down to two fixtures:
Nova Extreme with Lunar lights 8x54 watts= 432 total watts (plus it comes with the Lunar lights which I love)
or
Nova Extreme Pro 6x54 watts=324 total watts (no lunar lights) but has individual reflectors.
I have been wracking my brain for months. I am a little scared of Metal Halide fixtures. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
I currently am running 260 watts with the Orbit PC light. I am happy with it but I will like to get an anenome in the future. I have a little bit of everything in there now, except clams of course. I have only a budget of $350. So let me know if there are any other options. And yes, I will be selling the PC fixture when/if I get the new light.
Thanks guys.

maryg

Originally Posted by coraljunky
http:///forum/post/2824411
What do you plan on keeping Mary?

Everything! Lol....
Maybe a clam and some SPS and maybe even some LPS. I dunno I have the Orbit PC light now and have softies and SPS. They are doing fine.

coastie81

I would go with the nova extreme pro. More bang for the buck in my opinion. Individual reflectors are way better then one reflector. with your tank being a standard 55 you can prolly keep anything with the PRO model since it is not that deep. Just my .02

srothenberg

I'm curious as well, the 6 bulb Pro will keep clams? I'm debating between that or the 2-250w MH + T5 setup for my 75g, however it's almost 3x as much!
Sorry to thread jack.

maryg

I ordered the Nova Extreme Pro today

I can't wait for it to get here! I am going to miss my lunar lights though. I guess I am going to have to rig something up! Lol...
Also when I get the new lights, should i cut back on my lighting schedule so everything can get used to the new lights? How long should I leave them on? Now I run about 9 hours. I also have a Orbit PC for sale if anyone is interested.