Lighting Question

nysharkbait

I'm pretty much set on getting T5HO's. I'm building a canopy for my 72'' x 18'' x 22'' tank. I need to buy a retrofit kit for lighting. How much lighting do I need?

nycbob

u will need at least 8x36w with 4 bulbs on each side over a 6 ft tank, if u r planning to keep al kinds of corals and inverts. if its only fowlr, then 2-3 bulbs on each side would suffice.

nysharkbait

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3176381
u will need at least 8x36w with 4 bulbs on each side over a 6 ft tank, if u r planning to keep al kinds of corals and inverts. if its only fowlr, then 2-3 bulbs on each side would suffice.
*** Sorry, didn't see 36w. Is that a minimum? I'd hate to put it in only to find I need more to get growth.

nysharkbait

I'm about to kick a puppy.
I can't find what I need, mainly because I have no clue what I need. I don't want an entire unit, since I have a canopy. I want to do a DIY deal. Can somebody tell me what brands are best and what parts I need to look for?

alvin

I just purchased a Wave Point T5HO Retrofit kit. I got the 48" version for $220, so I can't complain, and that comes with 4 bulbs already. I was going to do the IceCap SLR Retrofit kit, but that was going to run about $350 or so.
Just search T5 Retrofit Kit, and you should come across a few.

nysharkbait

I guess my biggest question is, how much do I need? Can I get away with 4 48" lights? That would be 2 white and 2 blue right?

rigdon87

ATI powermodule or aquatinics constelation.
You could keep anything your little heart desired anywhere in the tank.

rigdon87

Originally Posted by NySharkBait
http:///forum/post/3177290
In english? lol
$$$$

They are high ouput t5 fixtures.
Some would say that the ati powermodule is the best HO T5 system available and from what ive seen that would be an understatment.As for the constelation it's a little cheaper but not far behind the pm in performance...