lighting question

i like fish

I currently have 640 watts of VHO over a 125 gallon tank. The only complaints I've heard about VHO is that they don't penetrate as well as MH. I do not plan to upgrade to MH, but I was wondering if there would be a benefit to adding 2 more VHO bulbs. Right now I have URI bulbs, 2 super actinic and 2 12,000k daylights.

adrian

It wouldnt hurt, if you add more tubes you will be adding more light. Do you feel you need more light? Are you trying to keep certain corals that need more light? If everything seems happy, why not just wait until you can do the halides, then you wont be out quite as many VHOs ;) HTH

i like fish

I don't want to get halides. Not on this tank. I just wanted to see if "more is better". I have softies and lps in this tank, they are doing ok, but maybe they could do better. I guess the best way to find out is to just do it huh?

adrian

Yes, the only for sure way to know is to try it. There is such a thing as too much light, but in your case I dont think the upgrade will do any harm. Misread your post, thought you said you were planning on upgrading to halides ;) HTH

E

elan

i would add more..... i dont think you can really over do your lighting until you get to MH lights...