Lighting question

y2says

What's the prices? What corals are you trying to keep? I would recommend going with MH if you can afford it. I went through pc to VHO to MH/PC combo and I like the later the best. The MH will heat up more but will penetrate more and give more options when choosing corals from soft to SPS.

nm reef

I've used 4x65 Custom Sealife lamps for going on three years and have been very pleased with them on my 55....what combination of lighting are you considering.
I run the 4x65 PC's with 2x110 VHO's and they have been effective for me....you could develope a decent lighting system with the CSL fixtures if you had the right combination. 4x96 watts would be a choice that would allow a good selection of corals but you would be limited. I'd say 4x96 over your 110 system would provide moderate amounts of lighting. If you selected your corals accordingly then you'd be fine.
For corals that require more intense lighting I'd suggest VHO's and MH's...but in answer to your question...CSL makes quality products that could help you develope a decent reef of your 110....:cool:

korgull

ive seen that model (4x65's, 4 moonlights) that i want for 260 on the web, 400 in a lfs here. i was going to combine them with my GE powercompacts that i have that are 2 x 65w. That would be plenty of light unless i had high-light corals wouldnt it?
thanks for the info, i cant really get into the MH right now, maybe one day

nm reef

Mine are 4x65 10k PC's that are retro fit along with 2x110 VHO's(actinics)...but I have seen the fixture your mentioned with the moonlights...they are very nice.
I'd say your combination of lighting would be adaquate for lower light loving corals and would allow a decent selection of corals if you selected them carefully and avoided corals that require higher intensity lighting.:cool:
I'm confident you could keep an assortment of softies/mushrooms/leathers/polyps/zooanthids/some LPS types...but avoid corals that require high intensity lighting.:cool: