lighting question

griffins

I have a 75 gallon with canopy but the light came with 40 flo. can I keep bubbles tip frags mushrooms andyellow polyps thanks if not what is the most resobible lighting to get

crsdall

For most reef tanks a 4 Light combo fixture MH/Florescent setup consisting of 2 x 175 watts Metal Halide (MH) and 2 x 40 watts Actinic Blue works well. From my experience if keeping corals and trying to get the caulerpa to grow this is the minimum setup you should have.

S

sebae0

that will not provide enough light the canopy that you have, vho or pc's would be fine for the softies and maybe for the bubble.

griffins

thanks but this is a very hard thing to figuar out. what would be the easyest and low priced way to go.

crsdall

Easiest way to go ? Fish only tank use the light came with the tank. Corals, bubble tip frags - use Very High Output (VHO) lights totaling 350 watts at least for a 75G tank more the better. Florescents run cooler but you have to change bulbs more frequently. Metal halide lights duplicates the effects of the sun. Just look at a tank with VHO and one with Metal halide - the metal halide can cast shadows of the water rippling like on the reef in a ocean VHO can't. And it's not for just looks they put out more light than florescents.
I'm for Metal halide because after starting with HO then VHO I still end up going for the Metal halide.

S

sebae0

definately metal halide is the way to go if you want to keep any coral, but if budget is a problem vho's or pc's will be adequate for the lesser light demanding corals. look on ---- or do a search and you can find some good lighting at reasonable prices.