Lighting questions

robvia

A few questions to help me decide on a the right path to go.
1. Which light is better for growing corals, atinic 03 or 10K white? Why? If you could only have one or the other over your tank, which would you put purley for coral growth, no viewing or price or heat concerns?
2. If you had to choose between a 96 Watt PC or a 110W VHO, which would you choose? why?
3. Do PC lights put off a lot more heat per Watt than a VHO?
4. How long can you leave the same PC bulb on the tank and How long for a VHO?
As you can see, I am trying to decide if I should change to PC or VHO lights. Currently I have 8 NO bulbs over my tank. The tank is doing OK, but I think some added Watts would do me good. The hood I have is custom and I can't change it. It's only about 3 inches from the top of the tank to the top of the hood, so space is a real issue and MH is out of the question. Given the small space, heat is an issue also. The other issue is it's already housing NO bulbs. Changing to VHO would be pretty easy. Swap the bulbs and change a ballast that's under the tank, and I'm done.
Right now, I am leaning toward changing 2 40Watt NO 10K to 2 110 Watt VHO whites 10K. Then changing 2 40 Watt blue (not really atinic 03) to 2 40 Watts NO Atinic 03. I might even change 2 30 Watt 10K out for 2 30 Watt atinic 03. I think this would give me more white light for the coral growth and true atinic for veiwing. This would also be a pretty easy change to make and I don't think heat would become a problem.
Any other information I might need or suggestions as to what to do would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

thegrog

Lots of questions.
1. 10K is more like natural daylight and is the spectrum that the photosynthetic bacteria that live in coral need to survive. They need some actinic, but mostly actinic is for cosmetic reasons.
2. 110W VHO. Because they put out a little more light per watt than PC.
3. VHO put off slightly less heat than PC and use a little less electricity.
4. 6-8 months for both
IMO, go with the VHO.