Lighting Reflectors

jond

Very interesting article. I am soon to begin building my new system. I will be using VHO lighting and have been thinking about reflective material to use if any. Outside of aluminum flashing from the hardware store, do you know where to puchase the other reflective materials mentioned?
Thanks

broomer5

Many people use URI VHO lamps that have the internal bulb reflectors. This is pretty common.
White paint will help diffuse the lighting and reflect it somewhat as the article mentioned, and I think a lot of people will also use a reflective material as well.
You can purchase reflectors that run the full length of your canopy if you want - sort of pricey but nice.
DIY'ers use many different materials as reflectors.
I'll let them comment on what works for their set-ups.
Most of the "reflectors" I've seen for sale are primarily used with metal halide lamps, but I'm sure they could be used for VHO.
Although not necessary IMO if using the URI's.
I'm sure other's will offer some suggestions too jond.
Good luck with your lighting project.
See ya

jond

URI's and white paint is what I currently use on my 37 gal. and it seems to work just fine.
Would you mind cheching my thread on sump design and give me some input?
Thanks
Jon

melbournefl

I'm lining my canopy with reflective mylar 2 mil thickness. $25 for enough to do about 8 canopys and another $7 for the spray adhesive.
Good luck whatever you choose and let us know your results!
Later,
Paul

A

amoroso6

hey paul , let me know how the adhesive works I was thinking of going that route but was kind of concerned about the heat that will be generated.
thanks, Alex

corky

I used background paper for fish tanks in my metal halide lights. It is mirrored and all I needed to do was cut and spray adhesive. Cost me $2. for mirrored paper and a can of adhesive which I already had. Just be careful not to put mylar and other papers too close to surface of light as the heat can destroy or melt it.

surfnturf

I've been thinking about this lately, and had an idea using reflective white paint, like they use on street signs. I would think that if you can see a sign from over half a mile away, it would do a decent job in a hood. Maybe not, but it's worth trying if I can find the paint. BTW thanks for the article Broomer, it was a good read!