Lighting Schedule & Mounting

mudplayerx

Hello guys,
I just bought a new lighting fixture for my 75 gallon tank. It is a canopy style combo of 2x 250W HQI metal halide lamps, 4x 54W T5 HO lamps, and 6x dual Bluemoon LED. I only have experience with the lighting on my 55 gallon tank, which are 2x pendant style 150W HQI metal halide lamps. I have a couple of questions regarding my new lighting setup.
1. What is a good lighting schedule for the MH, T5, LED combo? I would like to stimulate a natural sort of oceanic lighting pattern. When should each light kick on? How long should each light be on? When should the different lights overlap while being on, if at all?
2. I have a plastic support brace in the middle of my tank, like all 75 gallon tanks do. The metal halide bulbs will be offset so that they are not directly over the support brace. However, the mounting legs of the canopy are only 3" tall. Will this cause the support brace to crack/melt?
Thanks

flower

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
http:///forum/post/3291630
Hello guys,
I just bought a new lighting fixture for my 75 gallon tank. It is a canopy style combo of 2x 250W HQI metal halide lamps, 4x 54W T5 HO lamps, and 6x dual Bluemoon LED. I only have experience with the lighting on my 55 gallon tank, which are 2x pendant style 150W HQI metal halide lamps. I have a couple of questions regarding my new lighting setup.
1. What is a good lighting schedule for the MH, T5, LED combo? I would like to stimulate a natural sort of oceanic lighting pattern. When should each light kick on? How long should each light be on? When should the different lights overlap while being on, if at all?
2. I have a plastic support brace in the middle of my tank, like all 75 gallon tanks do. The metal halide bulbs will be offset so that they are not directly over the support brace. However, the mounting legs of the canopy are only 3" tall. Will this cause the support brace to crack/melt?
Thanks

To answer number two: No you should be fine.
Now for answer to number one, everyone has their own schedule..This is mine: I have my actinic lights kick on 30 minutes before the MH bulbs fire up. The actinic and MH lights remain lit for 10 hours, then the MH bulbs kick off and only actinic lights remain lit for another hour, then when they kick off my moonlights kick on for the remainder of the night.