Lighting Setup for 55G

templar

I'm thinking of installing 6 X 55W power compacts in a 55 canopy. 2 of the bulbs will be true actinic. 2 will be 6700K and the last 2 will be 10K. How does this setup sound. It equals to 6 watts per gallon. Would it make a large difference if I skipped the 2 6700 bulbs and only used 220W of lighting (4W per gallon)?

h2o

What's the length of your 55g canopy? 36" or 48"? i think 2 6700k and 2 10k and only 2 actinic will not have enough blue and viewing pleasure. do you have enough clearance on the canopy to fit couple diy metal halides? i personally have a 55g tall with 36" canopy but due to only 3" clearance i could only install 3 96w pc retro. although satisfied but i really would love to have a mh. just a friendly suggestion.

templar

The canopy isn't raised high enough to support metal halides. I would think a third of the light being actinic would be plenty of blue light.

nm reef

If you are going to use 6x55 pc's Id suggest you check into at least 2x55 true actinics. I've never used them but I have heard that the blue spectrum is much better than that of the combos. The others I would use 4x55 10k's. I use 4x65 10k's with 2x110 vho's(actinic). May be that your 6x55's will work just adjust the spectrum to your liking.