lighting

whiterose

My 55 gal. tank currently has one 130w (2- 65w bulbs side by side) actenic blue light strip and 130w (2- 65w bulbs side by side) of 10,000K light strips. I am not happy with the setup because I have to remove the strips averytime I want to get into the tank. Plus the fact that I need more lights for my corals. I would like to have a setup that allows me to attach the lights (whatever I choose) to the hood. I don't like halides, but would not mind using VHO or fluorescents. Any ideas as to how I can set up new lighitng system that will accomadate me and my tank friends? I pictured 4 lights attached to the hood, but am not sure what equipment I would need.

robchuck

If you are handy, you could build a canopy (with a lid that opens or doors for tank access) for your tank to house a PC, T5, or VHO retro kit. This would consist of a remotely mounted ballast, wiring, endcaps, and in the case of PC or T5, a reflector (VHO bulbs manufactured by URI have a built-in reflector).

masterreef

What you are looking for is called a retrofit or retro system. That means it comes ready to be mounted inside a canopy (without a case).
I run 4x65W of PC light on my 55 with great results. Expect to pay $200 - 300 for a set unless you're a real agressive price shopper.
Good luck . . .

whiterose

Where did you get your retro set up master reef? I know I have been researching and I priced them between $200-$300. You say you run 4 lights. What type of lights are you running?