Lighting?

megsm318

I bought my tank off of someone. Since I am completely new to this hobby, I didn't think to ask what kind of lights are in the hood. All I know is that the guy grew polyps and things in the tank before with those lights.
It's a 75 gallon, and there are two long lights (about 4 feet long). Both are Coralife lights. One is a white light that says 10,000 k super daylight on it, and the other is an actinic light.
I can't see what the actinic light says on it, so does anyone have an idea what the ouput is for that light? I really don't know much about lighting, and I want to start getting more things for my tank. It would really help me to know what kind of output I have.
I've attached a pic of both of the lights. Thanks for the help!

blitz99

the actinics (from what i've read) are a different gas compound in the light and they give off a blue light wich is supposedly so the tank gets a full spectrum of light and it's healthier since it simulates the spectrum that would occur naturally in the oceans.
plus, it makes stuff glow nice colors.

stuckinfla

Those are just regular flouresent lights. 75 gal? What do you want to keep? The harder the corals (sps, clams ect....) the more light. Always think of the future, you may just want fish and mushrooms now....flouresents are fine for that, but in the future you might want hammer, frogspawn, brains. Here PC lights could work. But later when you want your clam.......MH is the only way to go. If you can afford, dont just keep upgrading, go for the MH right from the start.

megsm318

What is the difference btw PC lights and the lights I have?
Does this mean that I only have 80 watts of light in my tank???
I don't have the money for metal halide lights, so I know that clams are out of the question. I would like to be able to have mushrooms and anenomes, though. What would I have to upgrade to in order to give those enough light?

ka0z4allu

You would be ok with mushrooms as they are a low light coral, but anemones are a for sure no with normal output lights. They also require a very well aged and stable tank in order to live.

C

cowpoke

Megs
It would appear from your picture you have enough room to put MH retrofit light fixtures in your current hood.
Do a search and you will find tons of info on doing it yourself and saving allot of money!

stuckinfla

My understanding is anenomes are MH only. Your lights are NO (normal output) PC is power compacts. Usually shorter with two 65 or higher bulbs. Not to sure, I ran NO for years then went to MH. You can pick up all the supplies at an electrical supplier & Home Depot (except the bulbs). For that size tank, your looking at a few retro's or homemade, depends on the depth for the wattage.