lighting

mujtba

is 520W power compact lighting sufficient for all corals??
also, i noticed all the corals at my LFS are small. do they grow fast???:notsure:

ericholcek

i only have 265 on my 55 gallon. that is alot of lighting you got there. How much does that run you? Metal halides or even t5's, from what i hear, would be better for that money your going to pay for that fixture.

flatzboy

Originally posted by mujtba
is 520W power compact lighting sufficient for all corals??
also, i noticed all the corals at my LFS are small. do they grow fast???:notsure:

You could do pretty much everything except acros but you could do some montipora if you placed them pretty high.

yellowtail

oh another lighting question........its not wattage that is the important thing.its more about intensity.flatzboy had a good answer

montidanae

inded, intense, you can have 400w or NO lights or 400w or MH, and you wotn be able to keep anything but zoos and shrooms under the NO but under the MH you could keep anything [as long as you have the proper conditions(water quality, aged, flow, fish selection, etc etc)]
PC bulbs are good for smaller tanks, while VHos are better for larger tanks (PCs dont caver as much area, and VHOs tank to lose the lgiht by the ends, this drasticlay reduces light on a little tank, but not a larger ones.
with that much PC you could keep any soft coral, some LPS, and some SPS [Montiporas(a few not all) and some deep water acros(as logn as they wernt grown in low light, most are cultures under high MH lights)
but with that much, why not just get two 250w MH pendants(unless you have the PC's already), but if you do have them allready you could get the pendants of MH with 10k (or if you want great growth, 6,500K bulbs with actinic supliments are supposed to get great growth)