Lighting

trigger78

I'm in the process of switching over to a reef. I'm keeping a 55FOWLR, planning on adding 10-20gal sump and 20 gal fuge. My first of the buying process is: What type of lighting to buy?
I've been looking around at various sites and posts. I'm NEW so correct me on anything that may be wrong. Are two 250 MH or HQIs going to be too much since that is all I am planning on using? Should I try to go with less MH and/or HQI and add some type of compact or VHO?
My intended budget for lights is between $250-350 for right now. I'm in no hurry to switch over but want as many answers as possible. I don't want to over do it and burn the critters but I also would like to be able to buy a variety of corals.
I've been looking at the retrofit kits and don't understand how I can get more into a fixture than what is already in most of them. I know I could take out the bulbs that are in the ones that I have and put the MHs in but that is it. There would be any room for VHO or florescent etc...
Any help or guidence would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks all! -Al

I don't think you can touch 2 250w hqi de for 250 to 350. mabye one.
I'll assume your 55 is 4" by about 13" and say your best bet is a 2 x 175 mh retro for a med light tank or "softie" tank or a 2x 250 for a higher light tank.
your price range pretty much excludes any "plug and play "lights.

trigger78

2x250W HQI Retrokit w/Mog. Reflector is what I am looking at for 330.00 without bulbs so another 100.00 for the bulbs. But is this lighting going to be adaquate? Should I try to get some compacts and add one HQI or MH around 150-175w with around 260 watts of other lighting?

trigger78

Anyone please. I've been reading and reading, but don't know if I should just go with the MHs or HQIs. What are the pros and cons of just running these high lights besides the electric bill?