lighting ?

newbiereef

i have a 29 gal with 1 condi and 2 tomatoes, and 2 damsels. 15 hermits and 5 camelback shrimp. i am wanting to ad coral probably within the next 3 months or so, and therefore i am wondering wht lighting i should invest in for this tank. as well as what other equipment i should get. any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. thanx
herb

T

thomas712

Originally posted by mudplayerx
This is not correct. If you keep the camelback shrimp fed every day, they are safe.

Being that they are opertunistic little insects I would have to disagree with you, however feeding them everyday to keep their bellys full might slow down the distruction they can, and often do, cause.
I will agree that everyones experience with them is different.
Anthony Calfo: "This species naturally preys on coral in the wild and is well documented in captivity for doing so. A few will not, but most will eventually (brain corals, polyps, etc)... it is not a safe choice in the long run"
Respectfully and simply disagree with you. Have a nice day. :)
Thomas

gregvabch

Originally posted by mudplayerx
This is not correct. If you keep the camelback shrimp fed every day, they are safe.

you've got camel shrimp in a reef tank? what do you feed them? polyps? :D

gregvabch

they'd be ok in a fowlr tank but if you intend to get corals you should probably get rid of them. take them back for store credit and get some peppermints, a skunk cleaner, or a blood red fire shrimp.

elfdoctors

I didn't realize that camel-backed shrimp will eat corals when I purchase mine. I lost all of my colony polyps to this shrimp. I have also not been able to successfully keep open brain corals.
However, I do have a bubble coral, pink leather coral, green star polyps, blastomusa, toadstool leather, and pulsing xenia which the camel-backed shrimp has left alone.