Lighting

eoalulavis

I would appreciate your opinions on the type of lighting system i should employ in my tank. I have a hex that is about 3 feet deep. I have a shelf approx 10 inches above that houses my refugium. I have been looking at metal halides but would like some input on just what type i should consider. I believe that there is enough room above the tank to install the lights on the underside of my shelf and not have to worry about temperature fluxes that much. thanx michael

jb rekit

3 feet is pretty deep, so it comes down to what you would like to keep in it. For softies I would go with a 175 to minimize temp issues and still have enough light. If you wanted to keep sps and clams, I would go with a 250 DE to help with the heat and get the additional light to penetrate to the bottom of your tank.

jb rekit

I just read your original post again and for some reason thought that it was a hexagon tank the first time i posted. What are the dimensions on the tank? And back to my first question, what do you want to keep in it?

bdhough

3' feet i think is a 65 hex.
As for inverts none need light save maybe nudibranches but they don't need that much light. Only other invert is clams.
DO you mean you wish to keep any type of coral?
If yes or you wish to keep tridacnid clams or both then a 250 pendant halide with some supplimental pc's would be great for your tank and should give you what you want. Its just expensive....

bdhough

Yes. A 250 HQI halide should do nicely. HQI are double ended bulbs. Mogul are single ended. From what i've read a 250 HQI is stronger than a 250 Mogul. It would help explain the expense. You could do it yourself for about 300 or buy a pretty dressed up pendant for 500. If you think you'd be good with wiring some lights then try it yours. Look for a 24 inch fixture for your tank.