lighting ?

b_slate

Is it normal for my fish to change colors and act scared when I turn the tank light off? I have 6 damsels and when I turn the light off, they all go to the bottom of the tank and turn dark colors.

feixjai

they are probably just sleeping or resting. my clown fishes do that but dont change colors. how long do you run your lights? do you have a timer for the lights? i read some where that if you turn your lights on and off at differnt times, it causes the fish to get stressed.

mjdcmaki

We Just Started A Salt Water Tank And We Have 2 Damsels In Our Tank. Ours Changes Color Too Even If The Light Is On. We Sit In Front Of This Tank And Really Watch Our Fish And At Any Given Time Will Our Fish Change Colors. I Asked The Pet Store Where We Got Them From And They Said They Just Do That For No Reason. We Have A Tan One And A Blue/orange One. When They Are Swimming Around And Chase Each Other The Tan One Will Change And Look Alot Like The Other One. The Blue/orange One Will Change To An Almost Black Color. I Guess This Is Normal For The Damsels.

b_slate

I have 2 blue ones that turn black and a blue and yellow one that turns a real light purple. To be honest, I don't turn the lights off very often because I was afraid that this was causing stress on them. I will probably get a timer for my lights though. What kind of lighting would you recomend for a 55 gal FOWLR tank?

diadema

Originally Posted by mjdcmaki
We Just Started A Salt Water Tank And We Have 2 Damsels In Our Tank. Ours Changes Color Too Even If The Light Is On. We Sit In Front Of This Tank And Really Watch Our Fish And At Any Given Time Will Our Fish Change Colors. I Asked The Pet Store Where We Got Them From And They Said They Just Do That For No Reason. We Have A Tan One And A Blue/orange One. When They Are Swimming Around And Chase Each Other The Tan One Will Change And Look Alot Like The Other One. The Blue/orange One Will Change To An Almost Black Color. I Guess This Is Normal For The Damsels.
wow... capital letter overload... :scared:
the answer is "yes" fish change colors when stressed or sleeping.