Lighting

brandonvd

I am going to replace my lighting for my 80 gallon bow front reef tank. I can't quite afford metal hallide so I am going with pc's. I've been looking around on ---- and there are two that sound good to me. One light is a Jebo 48" 4 X 65 total of 260 Watts for $122.99 plus shipping and the other is a Coralife Aqualight 48" 4 X 65 total of 260 Watts for $212.95 plus shipping. I do believe that you get what you pay for so I am leaning towards the Coralife, but I just want to know what you guys think and/or would sugest.

scubanoah

Only thing I can tell ya, is that people say the bulbs that come with the Jebo is not very good quality and will recomend you replace them.

lennon

Originally Posted by brandonvd
Doesn't anyone have an opinion, I could really use the help before I purchase.
I know you say money is tight for the hallides BUT with the other lights..you will have to replace them probably every 6 months or so for them to be affective as compared to how long the hallides will last you.
Just a thought.
Good luck

hot883

Originally Posted by brandonvd
I am going to replace my lighting for my 80 gallon bow front reef tank. I can't quite afford metal hallide so I am going with pc's. I've been looking around on ---- and there are two that sound good to me. One light is a Jebo 48" 4 X 65 total of 260 Watts for $122.99 plus shipping and the other is a Coralife Aqualight 48" 4 X 65 total of 260 Watts for $212.95 plus shipping. I do believe that you get what you pay for so I am leaning towards the Coralife, but I just want to know what you guys think and/or would sugest.
I bough the same ones for $99.94 with shipping. Just have to look on the same auction site.

mike_cmu04

the famous auction site has a 250 watt metal halide retro kit for $110 and a 400 watt halide retro for $90 if you were still interested in halides but like you said you get what you pay for and i am not sure on the quality.

brandonvd

I've been looking at the retrofits, but I'm not sure how to make one work without buying a hood as well. Thanks for replies, any help is appreciated.

chipmaker

On another forum I read some interesting stuff on the Jebo lights......NOt good quality in any area. Two identical bulbs burn at different colors and intensities, extremely soft metal used, and the coating on the hoods are very prone to cracking and peeling. IIRC not many of the folks that bought them had good luck with them with most going 10 toes up within 3 or so months. Some even started to erupt and ooze the contents of the ballasts within a few days or a week of use.........Some received lights with broken or defective bulbs and ran into problems with getting bulbs replaced, as they said it was shipping that broke bulbs or caused them to not work, even though the package was not bent or torn up. Quality control seems to be the biggest issue and of course longevity of the lights. Of ocurse just to be fair some also said their lights were still working just fine, but most that had working lights still had problems of bulb/light colors.