Lighting

allen1973

I have a dilemma.I have a 48'' pc on my tank.I want to upgrade to 2/175 watt MH.I don't want to buy a whole new light (sold my soul to get that one cause I was told I could keep anything under those)nor wish to get a canopy,so I was told I can get 2/175 pendants and still keep my pc's.I've seen on a popular site that I could get dual 175 MH's with reflector.Could I cut reflector in half hook up to a pretty 2x4 and hang them like pendants or is this a insurance claim waiting to happen.Any and all input is appreciated.

golfish

I'd sell the PC's and go with 2x250 watt pendants using 14K or 20K bulbs. You'll be able to keep anything you want under those and wont have to waste power running the PC's...you could mount a reflector, mogul sockets and PC on a hoodcanopy and hang it over the tank but in the long run your going to be replacing more bulbs. Why not just do it right, buy the pendants and youy'll only have to replace two bulbs.

allen1973

Okay,I'm looking at 2-250 watt pendat thats on a popular auction site and it comes with either a 10k,13k,20k.I'm leaning towards the 13k.Will this be good.I'm trusting opinions from this site cause at $200 a piece I don't want to make a costly mistake

carshark

Originally Posted by Allen1973
Okay,I'm looking at 2-250 watt pendat thats on a popular auction site and it comes with either a 10k,13k,20k.I'm leaning towards the 13k.Will this be good.I'm trusting opinions from this site cause at $200 a piece I don't want to make a costly mistake
id go with 20,000K IMO, but thats your call...

allen1973

Well,I just saw a hanging pendant that is double ended bulb same specs and comes with shield.Is there a difference really?

golfish

you'll need the HQI ballast for the DE pendantbulbs.....go with the 20K's...Even beter aske if you can get a refund and not take the bulbs, chances are their lousy bulbs.