Lighting??????

maggot

I need help, I have a tank that is 30 inches wide. Can someone tell me what my options are for lighting. I would like to put some hard corals in there. The only thing I can find to fit my tank is the Current USA SunPod 30" Retrofit kit. If anyone has had this or can tell me if this is worth the 300 dollar price tag and if it can do what I want it to do, please help. The light has a 150W MH. Also if anyone can steer me in aother direction please help.
Thanks, :notsure:

acrylic51

What are your total tank dimensions? If your going to keep hard corals ie...SPS your definitely going to need MH's

maggot

i think my dimensions are 30" wide by 24" tall by 18" wide. They say it has a 150w MH light in it. I was wondering on the quality, is it enough anyways, and do I need to supply my own fans to keep the tank cool and if I have to how will I do that
Thanks for responding please give me suggestions and if anyone else has a suggestion I am more than welcome to hear from you. I am inexperienced when it comes to light and corals

acrylic51

Not familiar with the lighting system your looking at.....With a depth of 24" I would think you'd want a little more juice as far as MH is concerned........Is the MH system SE or HQI?

acrylic51

Sorry, but forgot to ask what are you planning on keeping in the tank to give a better answer as to if it will be enough light

maggot

Not sure what hqi and se means but if I can atleast have zoos multiply as well as mushrooms I will be happy but I would like to put corals in there that require strong lighting. My problem is that I can't find a retrofit MH lighting system that will fit a 30" length aquarium. I would spend more I just cant find any. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it

reefraff

Does your tank have a canopy? If so how tall is it? Normally I would say a 250 watt halide would be the way to go but heat will be an issue with a standard height canopy. Coralife has an aqualight pro retro that is 24" long which would be fine on a 30" long tank. Here's the specs. It was 324 buck from an online vendor. A search using the name should turn up some hits.
24" Aqualight Pro Retrofit Kit 1-150W 10,000K HQI / 2-65W Actinic 03 / 2-1W Lunar Lights (Blue) One 150 watt 10,000KTM double-ended HQI UV shielded metal halide lamp
One external double-ended HQI metal halide ballast with on/off switch, 12-foot lamp cord and 6-foot power cord
Two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue square-pin compact fluorescent lamps
One external 2-lamp electronic compact fluorescent ballast with on/off switch, 12-foot lamp cords and 6-foot power cord
Two 1 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow 470nm LED lamps with on/off switch and 12-foot transformer power cord
One external cooling fan - 67 CFM - 34.5dB with on/off switch and 12-foot transformer power cord (4.75" x 4.75" x 1")
Highly-polished reflector (23" x 15" x 3")
Protective glass lens cover
Aqualight Pro Instruction & Installation Guide