Lighting

pudd'ntang

How many watts to I need for a 50 gal pentagon? And what would cause coral to fade and loose its color (heat maybe??)

corky

spectrum will be more important especially in a pentagon that is deeper than standard tanks

pudd'ntang

I plan on having corals, clams maybe? - compact lighting - open to suggestions, also on my current tank the corals are healthy but losing color - turning brown - what would cause this? :confused:

fender

For a deep tank (over 30inches) or anyone wanting clams, MH is the way to go.
What is your current lighting? If you are using NO bulbs, I would say that is why your corals are having problems. Try moving them higher/closer to the light. What is your tank temp?

pudd'ntang

What's MH and NO lighting? The temperature is 85 degrees. On the corner pentagon, I'm in the process of ordering it therefore I have not lights, the current compact I do have is on the old tank 32 inch compact 2 atinic 2 white with a fan.

burnnspy

You need at least 175 MH because if the shape and depth of the tank.
The corals usually lose color under poor lighting and poor nutrition conditions, what lights are in the tank?
BurnNSpy

pudd'ntang

Compacts 2 antinic 2 white with a fan, about 250watts - I noticed last night some of the color is coming back. I read somewhere that heat affects corals, is this true?