Lighting

fishguy83

I currently have a Fish with Live Rock tank - 37 gallons TALL ... That only leaves 20" for a light fixture - so if I am looking to upgrade my lights, to MH probably, does anyone know of a good light fixture, with LED's and actinics ?
- or just tell me - -what would be a good lighting system if I would like to get corals someday?

fishguy83

that is funny - i was just searching and found that same thing, i think... THANKS!
20" SunPod 1 X 250W 14K 6 blue and 6 white lunar lights 20" X 8.25" X 4.5"H
Are SunPod's good?? Is 250W enough?
And what about actinics? I could always do a second fixture, right? But.. why do I want actinics? Anyone?
I honestly don't know - except I've seen them, and heard them talked about! :help:

C

cadillac swang

250W for that lil tank is overdoing it especially in the pocket. throw some T5's on that hoe

aquaguy24

im lookin on gettin those lights myself but im gettin the 150w version for my 24g aquapod which is a perfect fit for me cuz tank and lights made my the same company. they even sell them together as a set...with that tall tank i'd get the 250w so u can put corals at any level in ur tank. ppl usually use atinics with a 10,000k daylight buld but the sunpod bulds in this kit is 14,000k so no need for atinics.atinics make ur tank a blueish color. i think its mainly for looks

05xrunner

I dont think its overdoing it cause the tank is 25" deep..need alot of light to get all the way down there. Sunpods are good lights.
I guess this all depends on what you wanna have..if you want sps and clams. def get the 250

wangotango

Originally Posted by Cadillac Swang
250W for that lil tank is overdoing it especially in the pocket. throw some T5's on that hoe
not on a 20" tank... and watch your terminology...
a 250w pendant will be fine, and shouldnt give you to much heat if you hang it up high enough and if it has a fan. and the actinics give you the ability to have a "dawn to dusk" effect, which is nice.
-Justin

fishguy83

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I agree with the thoughts on the 250W lights, I want to keep my options open. So, if I go with the sunpod, should I add actinics? I just think I'd like the look, especially if I get into bright corals.

fishguy83

I do have a canopy --
do the retrofits look good? do you just buy the pieces?? Sorry i'm kind of a lighting dummy. I just like the look of a solid fixture...
So I was kind of mad -- the guy at my lfs, when I was mentioning getting into coral or an anemone, said that he wouldn't recommend it with my tank, because its the 37g tall (column tank) - He is the one who sold me the tank and told me I'd love it, and knew I eventually wanted to get into coral!!
But he also wanted to sell me PC lighting... If I get the sunpod light I was talking about - what does everyone think about the depth in my tank?? Could I do reef?

wangotango

yes you could do a reef with the sunpod, but id go with the 250w setup, you wont have any restrictions.
-Justin

fishguy83

Thanks - from what I've read and researched it seems that the 250W is fine for the depth of my tank -- and if something requires more light, it could be placed higher in the tank... right?

wangotango

Originally Posted by fishguy83
bump..
250W is good for the depth of my column tank... right?
yes.
-Justin