lighting

wangotango

sorry but no, anemonies dont usually do well under pc's. they need intense light from either T5 or halide.
-Justin

georgev845

Originally Posted by WangoTango
sorry but no, anemonies dont usually do well under pc's. they need intense light from either T5 or halide.
-Justin
Not necessarily you have more lighting than me and my anemone thirves.
Mant people have had alot of success in keeping anemones (i have a BTA) under PCs. Unless you have a 90+ and 30"+ tank you really dont need MHs. They are recomended for deep reefs and high intensity needing corals...ie LPS corals and SPS hard corals.The amount of light you need is very dependent on the types of invertebrates you have, the depth of your tank, and the spectrum of the lighting. Extremely deep tanks and tanks with a large number of stony corals might need from 4 Watts/gallon to 6 Watts/gallon. Tanks with just a few soft corals probably don't need metal halide lighting. As for anemones 3-5WPG should do you great in your tank. For diffrent anemones such as carpets and sebae High intesity is needed for sucess with these anemones. All in all it really depends what your doing and what anemone you will add in your tank

wangotango

i know of people who have had success, but 260w of pc over a 75 still is not a lot of lighting, maybe if it was over a smaller tank. there are plenty of other things that clowns will host in the aquarium.
-Justin

hot boat

Originally Posted by WangoTango
i know of people who have had success, but 260w of pc over a 75 still is not a lot of lighting, maybe if it was over a smaller tank. there are plenty of other things that clowns will host in the aquarium.
-Justin
what else will they host?

bkvreef

I had a 55g with 260w p.c.'s and had anemones and thought they were fine.
However, I upgraded to a 110g and added 240w of t-5 lighting and WOW.
Now granted I only have a condy but it has flourished. I did have a beautiful lta but it decided to wonder into the p.h. (if anyone know of a sponge cover over a koralia type p.h. let me know).
I would say that not only is tank size important but also how deep is yours. My 110g is only 18" (the same depth as a 55g, I think). Thus, if I'm right the light will be more effective than if it was on a deeper aquarium.