lighting

seabassi

Hello, can someone help me with lighting, every time I go to the pet shop I get all different answers on salt water lighting, currently I have a 65 gallon tank , 36 long 18 wide 24 high, with 3 blue/green chromas, 3 snails and one banded shrimp, i am thinking of adding some inverts with fish, no coral, my current light is a coralife 36 inch 10,000k daylight & 460NM actinic 96 watt compact fixture, is this enough for inverts , thank you

mr. limpid

Yes, Fish and inverts need no special lighting. Only corals and anemone's require special lighting. I have a T8 shop light over my 135 fish only and live rock, my inverts are crabs, shrimp and stars.

seabassi

Ok thanks for the info, if I wanted to go with anemone's what type of lighting to you think
Thanks
Again
Frank

mr. limpid

Anemone need the same lighting as SPS coral so then you will have a full blown reef capable light. T5's are less expensive original cost more to run and replace bulbs, you would want at least 4 bulbs with individual reflectors. Or a LED fixture that has min. 3watt diodes, more up front less to run and bulb replacement last 50,000 hours. I prefer LED the ones I recommend are AI SOL or Vegas and Apollo Reef UV5000.

seabassi

Oh, ok the only reason I might want one is I am thinking about getting a maroon clown, i know it's not a must for the maroon but is it worth getting a host?
thanks
again
frank

mr. limpid

First off maroons are the larger of the clowns and if it decided to host the anemone they really leave it, only to eat. Otherwise without a host they will host something else on the tank and swim around more often. It depends on what you want to see in your tank.

seabassi

your right, very good advice , I see that a lot in pet shops, they do stay with a host,
Thanks
again
frank