lighting

popalnet

Hello everyone:
I want to convert my saltwater "fish only" tank to a tank with coral, live rock, and possibly anemone. So, what kind of light do I need? I've seen different lighting ranging from $39 - $1,000. I don't want to go

[hr]
with a reef tank, but something that is close to a reef tank (not sure if that makes sense to you guys - sorry, I'm a newbie).
Also, I hear if you add too much live rock at once, it can skyrocket ammonia levels? If that's the case, then do you add a little at a time?
Sorry, more questions are popping up.
I currently use crushed coral, but I'm thinking of changing it to sand. How do you clean the sand. I won't be able to clean the sand by vacuuming. Do you order one of the reef packages on this site to keep the bottom clean?
Thanks.

Welcome to the board! :D
1. Regarding lighting, it is suggested that lighting for a reef tank should be 3-5 watts per gallon. What is the size of the tank you're converting?
2. Regarding live rock - Yes, adding live rock may cause a temp spike in ammonia because there will probably be some die off so, adding a little at a time is a good idea if you already have fish. It also makes a difference if you're using "cured" or "uncured" rock. You should always cure the rock before adding it to your display tank.
3. Changing from crushed coral is also a good idea - you'll find that it's pretty much the standard on this board. There are various livestock that will help clean the sand bed like brittle stars, nassarius snails, fighting conch's, just to name a few.
Miles