lighting

cjb82

I'm looking into getting a Bubble Tip Anemone for my 2 Tomato clowns and was wondering what is the least amount of light that I need. Currently my tank is FOWLR.

spuds

Fisrt of all, what other fish do you have? Being you have a FOWLR some non-reef will tear the BTA apart.

cjb82

I currently have 2 tomato clowns,coral beauty,2 cleaner shrimp,and a scarlet hermit. I'm only running 130 watt pc lights and I don't know if that is enough light for a Bubble Tip Anemone .

dburr

You will need the most amount of light.
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you need to ask how much light, you need to read up on them more.
IMO, they belong in the ocean not in a box. Their are animals that will be a host for clowns other than anenome. They are very hard to keep alive for very long.
HTH, Dan

spsfreak100

was wondering what is the least amount of light that I need.
If only it were that simply, to pick the cheapest lighting source to keep something successfully. Unfortunatly, it doesn't work like that. Many other factors come in to keeping an anemone thriving. Water conditions, overall tank setup and placement also play extremely important roles in keeping an anemone successfully.
Anyway,
Clowns do not need an anemone to be happy in captivity
. You can take that statement as a fact.
what else will host the clowns that are not hard to keep.
If you want something for your clowns to host in, I would recommend a Toadstool leather (Sarcophyton sp.) for your clownfish. These will make perfect hosts for the clownfish, and often will resemble an Anemone. Many other types of leathers including the Devils Hand (Lobophytum sp.), Spaghetti Leather (Sinularia flexibis) and Finger Leather (Sinularia sp.) will also work fine.
Other good hosts include the Colt coral (Cladiella sp., or, Alcyonium sp.), Kenya Tree (Capnella sp.-should be added to a mature aquarium), Alveopora (Alveopora sp.), Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens), Hammar Coral (Euphyllia ancora), Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sp.), Green Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia sp.), Xenia (Xenia sp.?), Frogspawn (Euphyllia sp.
), etc.
There were many I never meantioned, only due to the care level required for them, and the difficulty of keeping them sucessfully alive. Some of these include the Flowerpot (Goniopora sp.
), Plate Coral (Heliofungia Actiniformis
), and Elegance (Catalaphyllia sp.
) to name a few.
Please do not buy an anemone. Save your money and buy it on something that will actually live.
Anemones do best in the ocean, which is where they belong.
Take Care,
Graham :)

spsfreak100

Originally posted by CJB82
Thanks, I only have 130watt pc, is that enough for a green star polyp.

That should be good, although they would do better under more lighting.
Graham