Lights for 55

secter1

Looking to start a 55G reef tank and I don't want to be limited due to lights..What should I get with cost in mind?... I know "not being limited" and "cost in mind" don't go hand in hand but please amuse me :help:

murph145

what u lokin to keep?
it all depends but if u dont wanna be limited then i would go with 2-150WMH's most likely 14K or 20K... u could run 10K bulbs but add some VHO or PC actinic supplementation to get rid of the yellow look
but with that setup u should be able to keep anything u want from clams to sps to softies and lps
just remember lighting is only one part lots of other stuff to consider too when keeping different corals

secter1

Thanks for the reply. Ball park what would that cost me? Is that something you should by new or is it worth it to find a used set up? Where is So. Cal are you from? Ilive is Oceanside

murph145

i live in simi valley
as far as used theres nothing wrong for checking out used equipment if someone is selling a used setup check it out keep in mind ur guna need new bulbs around 8 months on MH bulbs and they can be pricey 50-80 bucks depending on brand and style
u could also do a PC system get the 260W of mixed daylight and actinic spectrum and that should cost a few hundred bucks id say a new MH system with the 150's would run u about 400-600 depending if u do pendants or retrofit or complete hood system
but if u do the 260w of PC;s ull be good to keep all softies and probably most LPS corals

fanker

well from what i have seen on this site (im new to the site) is that u guys dont have any thing on t-5s. i have t-5s and i can keep pretty much any thing. there low wattage, cheaper than other lights, and there brighter. (much brighter than pc's but much less wattage) check out reefcentral.com in the lighting forum thats what every body has now. i only have 128w on my 55g and i can keep sps.
that will be the best choice in imo

murph145

hmmm i know T-5s are good and all but i dont know if 128W on a 55 will keep sps happy in the long run
i know ive heard some success stories of them and keepin sps and clams but u need a lot
IMO MH's are the way to go i run them on my tank and am pleased with the look they give and what they can do as far as penetrating the water they penetrate better than any other light out there

fanker

well i have had t-5 lighting ever since i started this reef thing and i can keep any thing because they have so much par compared to pc and vho and there ganing on mh.