Lights for 90 gallon Reef

stuntmanjp

I have a 90 gallon reef tank with Nova Extreme HO T5 lights on it right now at 216 watts. I want to be able to keep clams and wore elaborate corals so I feel I need to upgrade my lights. Now here is my question: What would be better the 48" Tek T5 8 54 watt lamp fixture or the Outer Orbit 48" 2 - 150 watt MH and 4 54 watt T5's? I want the shimmering effect the MH's give but I dunno if I want to spend that much on lights? I also want the lunar lights which the Tek T5's would not have, nor would they have the shimmering effect. Sorry I am kind of babbling on here so if anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Justin

am00re34

i currently have a 6-bulb TEK set-up on my 55g (will be upgrading to a 90... the stand just isnt finished yet). I will keep the same fixture. No matter which you choose you can keep anything you want.
If your going to go with MH's i recommend doing a retro fix instead of purchasing a fixture (rip off!). you could also do that with T-5's, but it doesnt look nearly as good.
The advantage of MH's is you do get that shimmer we all love, but unfortantly they create a lot of heat so you might need a chiller in addition.

wangotango

The 8-bulb T5 fixture will probably have better par than a 150w halide setup.
Halides will give you a nice shimmer, but T5 will give you more versatility with bulb combinations to give you the look you want.
-Justin

guinness

i have the outer orbit set up. i like it a lot. i have some acro. i have not tried a clam though. i would give it two thumbs up.