Lights for a 44" Tank

osb

Can I use a 36" 3 bulb retro for a 44" long tank, or will the extra few inches on either side pose a problem. If this is OK, which bulbs should I use, I can choose between AquaSun, Actinic White and Actinic Blue. I plan on getting LED's for moonlights. I only plan on keeping some evry basic corals, mostly fish and LR.

osb

Not really sure yet. I figure if I'm using a retro kit for the VHO lights, i can always add MH later. Just not sure what to do about the lenght.

reefnut

If you are going with a 36" retro you could stager the bulbs so the entire tank is covered... like this...

snipe

Well my thought is until you know what your going with its hard to buy lights. If you buy powercompacts and decide you want sps or a clam then your in trouble and have to buy more lights leading to more money.

osb

i thought if i put the VHO's in, i can always add the MH's later, keeping the VHO's. (am I correct?)
I think I am going to try to stagger the bulbs, if the kit will let me. It's a 3 lamp icecap that throws 285 watts. Now on to my second question............ Which bulbs or what combo of bulbs would be best. At this point I dont think I'm going to get involved with clams or sps corals since this is my first tank. I hopefully will get another larger tank in a couple of years.

osb

Ok, so I ordered the Icecap retro kit and got 2 Aquasun bulbs and 1 Actinic Blue. My new question in do I need a reflector to go behind the bulbs. It says the bulbs have a 180 degree built in reflector.

reefnut

Not really. They have internal reflectors. Most people still use reflectors but it's not a must.