Lights for a refugium??

nicodakat

Hi everyone, I just bought an 80 gallon tank and want to set up a 20 gallon refugium/sump. How much light do I need to keep in the refugium?? I put miracle mud, calerpa, some spaghetti type of seewee, a mangrove, and live rock. Thanks in advance for the info. :happy:

T

thomas712

Alot of people use the lights of america fixture from at home depot for those smaller fuges.. You might want to look up refugium lighting using the search function. I use an 80 watt fixture over my 55 gallon fuge.
Thomas

druluv

Originally Posted by NicodaKat
Hi everyone, I just bought an 80 gallon tank and want to set up a 20 gallon refugium/sump. How much light do I need to keep in the refugium?? I put miracle mud, calerpa, some spaghetti type of seewee, a mangrove, and live rock. Thanks in advance for the info. :happy:
Look up Jali PC 18 watt . They fit perfect over a fuge and they are cheap.

reefnut

Get the Home Depot light!! It's a 65w 6500k PC for 40$ and fits perfectly on top of a 20g refuge!!
Here's my 20g sump/refuge with a LOA light!!

squidd

I guess it depends on the "Goal" for your Fuge...
I run mine as as "Algal Scrubber" growing Mass quantities of Macros for harvest as they pull malnutrients from the water...
I run 4+ watts per gallon and 30 to 50% MT size on fuge..
Killer Skimmer, good Flow and my numbers stay in the "0s " consistantly...

nicodakat

Reefnut, thanks for the info on going to Home Depot. Your refugium looks awesome!! Thanks everybody for the help!!!!

golfish

Originally Posted by ReefNut
Get the Home Depot light!! It's a 65w 6500k PC for 40$ and fits perfectly on top of a 20g refuge!!

Ouch, you guys have to pay 40.00 for that light up there...Its 18.00 at the HD's here and 9.00 at the Costco.

annanymous

hey gas here is in the upper $2 range

soon it will be cheaper to stay home rather then go to work and fill up my tank with gas :eek:

golfish

Originally Posted by ReefNut
Man we're getting ripped off... but gas is still 1.80 :yes:
If your paying 40.00 for the LOA fixture your gas should be about 55 cents a gal to offset the high price :scared: