lights for my new canopy

jacrmill

I have been using an eclipse hood and have finally decided to get rid of it so i can get some better lights and keep some easy corals. So I went and ordered a black wooden canopy to match the stand, but now I need a good suggestion on what lights to buy? should I just buy a normal fixture? it is a 37 gallon tank, 30 inches long. I figured PC lights would be fine on such a small tank, what do you guys think? also, ive got a post in the classified section, that I am looking for lights for a 30 inch tank, so if anyone has some they dont need, let me know...
Thanks for the help

scsinet

Honestly you are better off spending your money of T5s. T5 systems have a somewhat larger initial cost, but PC lamps need to be replaced every 6 months, T5 lamps ever 18-24 months. You'll make up the cost difference in no time.
Plus, T5 systems are more efficient (especially when you get one with individual reflectors).
Besides, PC is obsolete technology

A 4x39w system would work great on your tank!

jacrmill

all the 4x39 watt systems i found were 36 inches. i couldnt find any 30 inch, the only thing less was 24. do you know of any brands that make a 30 inch T5 fixture?

scsinet

Most of the fixtures out there come with little legs that bridge the gap between sizes, so you are probably right, you'll need to go with 24".
That may not be enough light for you. If you want to keep harder stuff like clams, etc then you may want to go halide.

jacrmill

yeah, thats a little more expensive than i was looking to go. i think i can get some used PCs for a pretty good price, you know since they are obsolete and everything.
So can I just buy a 30 inch fixture and it will fit in my canopy? I dont have my canopy yet, it is being delivered next week, but I wanted to get some lights on the way.
My other question is that I have heard that these PCs that you buy that are fully put together could cause overheating problems if put in a canopy. would that be a problem, or can I just put them in there and be ok?