Lights - hanging or legs?

nordkapp

before ordering the T5 light fixture for my new 90 gal I have the last doubt: hanging or legs?
till now I thought I wanted legs, main reason is not to deal with installation, however what are pro-cons of both?
any suggestion?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkapp http:///forum/thread/384741/lights-hanging-or-legs#post_3371522
before ordering the T5 light fixture for my new 90 gal I have the last doubt: hanging or legs?
till now I thought I wanted legs, main reason is not to deal with installation, however what are pro-cons of both?
any suggestion?

I also have a 90g. On a big tank hanging is a big plus. It allows room to work on the tank, without having to mess with big bulky lights. The legs are flimsy plastic pieces and they break really easy
. I put my lights on a pulley system...now that's sweet! I can lower them to the floor to work on changing bulbs or make them high or low to control heat (I have MH on the 90g) so heat is more of an issue for me.
The legs gave out almost instantly on the 90g MH light system it was just too heavy. I had legs on my CFs, they lasted a little over a year then one day I was working on the tank and when I went to put it back on I noticed a crack in two legs.
On my 30g I have T5HO...one leg already has a crack in it...I put crazy glue on it and it seems to be holding up...it's only 36 inches, not the 48 inches the 90g needs, I wouldn't trust a cracked leg on a 90g tank.

lsboogie

I mounted a shelf above the tank and hung the lights from the shelf. Used a 6" shelf with three wall mount brackets and some wall anchors from Home depot. Shelf 12.00, brackets 8.00 x 3, packet of wall anchors 7.00.