Lights....I know another one!

stingrayjs

I have been seriously thinking about upgrading my lights. Currently I have two 10k days at 65 watts, and two Arch at 65 watts. Which puts a fair amount of light in the tank, but I need more penetrating power for more reef creatures. My BTA and blue mushroom, is doing great in the tank atm, they are even growing with what I have now. But I know I will need more light sooner then latter if I want to move forward and expand what I can keep in my tank.
I am on a budget as are most people. So shelling out $600 on lights is something I can't do. But I also don't want to buy something that will not do what I need it to do! I have been looking at a few options and need some opinions. I have a wood canopy over the tank now. The ideal solution would be to retro something into it. My main concern is the heat from the lights melting the tank, and or burning the canopy.
(Tank is a 75 gallon.)
First choice:

If I had the $$ 48" 2 x 250 HQI Metal Halide. Which seem to go for about $500-$600 for a complete setup. At least from what I have found anyway.
Second choice:
48" 8 x 54 watts T5 HO with either 4x10k, 4xActinic or 6x10k, 2xActinic. I think I would go with the 6x10k, 2xActinic, but not sure.
Third Choice: 48' 8 x 54 watt T5 Retro kit, which I can get with 6x10K, and 2xActinic, or 4x10k, 4xActinic, or 10x10k. Which I think will run cool enough with some active cooling to have it under the canopy.
But I need more information, being it is a very large purchase for either choice.

thegrog

Go with the MH setup. You can actually DIY a similiar setup for your existing canopy for much less than $500. This is assuming you have it least 8" of space above the water surface for the MH bulbs. A simple reflector with mogul bulbs would work nicely. Two 175w 20,000K or 14,000K bulbs would be perfect with some active cooling fans in your canopy. Look on that big auction site and there are plenty of kits to choose from.
If you don't have the vertical space for the MH, then go with the T5.

thegrog

Originally Posted by bigtyguyy
which is better the regular MH or the HQI MH? 175W in either!
HQI usually only comes in 150 or 250. The 150 HQI puts out nearly as much light (or slightly more) than a 175 mogul. The HQI's tend to run slightly cooler as well.
The disadvantage is that you need a UV glass shield in the HQIs and the ballasts tend to be a little more costly.

caz

mh or nothing..
I was hesitant at first, but took the plunge.
-2 250w DE 20k MH HQI on my 75g (soon to be 10k/14k I think)

stingrayjs

The issue with the Mh would be the clearance above the tank. I only have like 4-5 inches I think in space. Now might get another canopy if its cheep enough and matches what I have. But this one is nice, its all oak. Plus I don't really want to go that route as it would be more expensive. If I had the option of hanging the lights that would be niem but I don't. If I go with the T5's will that work for most medium to high light required creatures? I want to build a nice reef that I will enjoy ofr many years.

stingrayjs

I thougt about that, but I don't have the space and tools needed to make one. WHich is why I was looking at another solution for my tank. Like thr T5's which run pretty cool to the touch. But I need more info on them if they will dowhat I need. I don't want to buy something that wont work out for me.

thegrog

Sounds like space is a real limiting factor. T5's will provide much more light than your existing system. With 400+ watts of lighting, your BTA will do fine. Your mushrooms will thrive! You could keep most corals, but stony corals and clams are still borderline.
They do run cooler than other lighting systems, but you will still want some sort of vent fan keeping things cool in your canopy.

stingrayjs

Being space is a real issue for me looks like I need to go with the T5s. What set of lights should I get if i want to keep most corals? 4x10k, 4xActinic or 6x10k, 2xActinic?

thegrog

I'd go with the 6x10K and 2xActinic. If not blue enough you could bump it to 5-3 but I would not go any lower than that ratio.