Lights

tntranch

We have a 90 gal. with (4) 4 ft VHO's. I cannot get the lights to stay on, they just flash for a second and wont stay on. Could it be the ballast? Also we are think of switching to Metal Hallides. How many or how big of lights will I need to replace what I have currently?

mudplayerx

Are you using the ballasts that came with the lights? If not, the ballasts are not strong enough for the bulbs.
If you replaced the bulbs or the ballasts, that is your culprit.
You are probably going to want around 450-600watts of metal hallide for your 90 gallon. You have to either buy a bulb as long as your aquarium or separate bulbs. There can't be any spots where the light isn't reaching.

tntranch

How do we eliminate which may be the culprit? When we bought the set-up (used) everything worked, we replaced a two bulbs and everything still worked until just recently (had about 6 months) When we plug the lights in, all 4 will flash on for about 2-3 seconds then nothing,sometimes if we keep trying to plug in it may stay on, but today not even that. The ballast is an ice cap 660. Thanks for any help.

plumbjohn

see if your bulbs are lose may have vibrated loose. I had thast happen with my single bulb till i took it out and put it firmly back in