Lights?

a0b915

Just hoping I could get a little advise on some new lights. I was going to go with MH, but the LFS told me to I should upgrade to VHO because of heat issues. I have a 58 gallon tank (36 x 20 x 18) I believe. Would two 175 Watt Mh with two 96 Watt actnic lights run my temp to hot? Right now I am running a total a 190 watts of PC and am looking to upgrade. I would like to stay away from purchasing a chiller if possible, but would love the freedom to house anything my heart desires.
JD

masala4080

There might be an issue, just get some fans and you should be okay, also place the lights higher up above the water. Do you plan on doing a canopy, spotlights, or anything else?
By the way, your occupation is rockin!

a0b915

Masala,
I am in the process of completing my DIY stand and will be starting on my canopy next. I would like to go with the MH and also thought it was doable, but wanted to make sure there was no need for a chiller. Do you have any suggestions on the MH lights (brand of lights, type of ballast, etc.). I am a DIY kind of guy so I would like to get a retro kit if possible.
JD

masala4080

cant help you out too much cuz I just bought a retro on the famous auction site, it came with everything. If you want more info, just check this out. Its my DIY canopy from a few days ago. Look Here

a0b915

Masala
I read that thread earlier and was impressed with your work. I was only concerned with the inability to do tank maintanence without having to remove your entire canopy. I guess that is an issue with about any canopy though. How much was the MH retro Kit if you don't mind me asking, and how much were you fans.
JD

masala4080

the MH retro was about $300 total, but there was a problem with one mogules wasn't wired correctly or something do quit working. They are sending me a new one though. The fans cost around $50 each. I got 4, so $200 total.