lights

robbberto

This might be a stupid question but...
I have 2 regular light fixtures and each hold 2x40w bulbs so that gives me 160 watts total, but if I add another one my total wattage would go up to 240w which would put me at a little over 3 watts per gallon because I have a 75 gallon tank. will 240w be enough to keep some hardy corals? I guess I just don't want the fixtures to go to waste.
Also I'd like to know if 6X40w the same as 2x120w considering that both equal 240w. :help:

ophiura

These are normal output flourescents? I wouldn't spend more money on normal output, personally. I would spend the money on power compacts at a minimum, if that is an option.

barbiganti

If I remember reading correctly, you want between 5 and 10 watts per gallon if you want to keep corals. Given that your tank is a 75 gallon, that translates to between 375 and 750 watts.

robbberto

These are normal output fluorecents, not T5, Halides or PC that I have. By what I've read so far, in a couple of books and a few sites. I get the impression that I need 375w or higher on 75 gallon tank plus the right k-rating and PAR rating. I went to a site called {EDIT LINK} and they claim that three regular fluorecent bulbs, one actinic and two white bulb is all you need. Needless to say that I bought that combination and it's not going well. I have two more questions.
1. Should I disregard the advice of the three bulb and purchase a T5?
2. Do the claims made about the three bulb possible if you manipulate K-rating and PAR rating giving that three bulbs only add up to 120w?

ophiura

I am sorry I had to edit the link. Out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, we request people not post links to other stores.
Do NOT let the ".org" ending of that site fool you. They are not the best reference, IMO, for what you are looking for. There is a wealth of information in good books, lots of sites...but that one is misleading on several topics.
I personally would not spend a dime on another normal output flourescent fixture. As for the combination of lighting (10K white, Actinic "blue") etc, to some degree this also comes down to the look you like. And indeed others post pictures in request to this
T5s are good lights; but I am not a lighting expert.
What I would suggest you do in part is decide what kind of corals you like, as this will determine the end game if you will. It will help avoid putting animals in the tank that will not work, and it will avoid buying equipment that will not work. In general, one of the big decisions to make is whether you like the so called "small polyped stony" corals or SPS versus soft or LPS ("large polyped stony"). To some degree these differences are only pertinent in the hobby, and give little insite into the care of one species to the next.
But, IMO, this is the place to start and ask questions. I would do a lot of searches on the boards in the reef section (if you want to go there) or in the DIY/equipment forum. If can be confusing, for sure, but there are lots of people to help

robbberto

I really appreciate your comments about my situation.
I will do a little more research on the matter
and maybe sell the light fixture I bought

faddn5

You could keep a sun coral under those lights. There are not photosynthetic and require to be target feed.