Lights

zincoxide

Okay, I'm building a canopy for my 48x18 90g tank. It will contain 2xMH 250W bulbs and 2 fluorescents.
I'm getting mixed reviews on the types of fluorescents to get. What so it be? T5's or VHO??
I have order 4x4.75" cooling fans rated at 77 cfm each. I'm planning on spacing them evenly along the back of the hood and alternating their directions (so one will blow in the next out and so on).
I'd like to get the PFO 2x24" reflectors which will allow a fluorescent on each side of the MH.
My problem is that some people are saying to go with the T5's and others are saying the VHO.
I'm thinking of going with 14000k MH's as I read here that the 20's are a little too blue. Which leads me to my next question... XM 15000k bulbs for 79.95 CAD - is this a good price and are they respectable bulbs.
I drive a civic... I'm not interested in the Mercedez Benz of light bulbs or any other piece of equipment for my fish tank. So I would just like to know if they will keep corals, clams and anenomes alive and health.
Any help is appreciated.

acrylic51

I'm an XM bulb fan, and the 15k's are horrible in the PAR.......Honestly don't waste the cash on the 15k's......If you do VHO's you could save yourself a little cash by using the very nice URI bulbs, with the internal reflectors there by saving yourself money, and time, and hassle of mounting extra reflectors......
T5's are a very good choice as well, but to make the T5's benefical they have to be used in conjunction with the proper reflectors to get the most out of them......For the reflectors for T5's check out IceCap or SunlightSupply.......
If your looking for a happy mix you could try 10k's and supplement with 03's to bring the blue into play.....

zincoxide

Originally Posted by acrylic51
The T5's or VHO's would just be for supplementational lighting.
Does this mean that I shouldn't really worry about the PAR and such??
Also PAR - Higher is better right?

acrylic51

Sorry.....03's are atinics......If your using MH's that is you main source light.....03's flourscents would be your supplemental light to simulate sunrise and sunset....