lights

aaron7405

That will depend in what do you have into your tank, fish only, live rock or corals. Or planing to have.
for example fish only regular bulbs with blue spectrums will be ok, If you can have a lamp wich integrate white and blue at the same time is better.
The bulbs of 10,000K gicve good spectrum but you will have to be very carefull to not have an alge problems for not choose the right light.
for corals the best is Metal halide but they put to much heat on a nano tank I have one my self
in this forum link you will see the one I have and the complite info , pros and cons of it.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/266641/want-best-lighting-on-my-nano#post_2092073
I have som pictures on my tank and the lamp I am using. nigth shoots too.
I really like it. but you will have to decide what do you will use the lamp for.

bonebrake

My buddy has 2 x 55 watt power compact fluorescent lamps over his standard 10 gal. nano: one 55 watt 10,000 K and one 55 watt 460 nm actinic. He has had it for two or three years and keeps everything: SPS, LPS, softies, zoanthids, clams, etc. He changes his bulbs once a year and runs them 12 hours a day.

debbie

That is one amazing and beautiful 10 gal tank. I only wish mine would look like that. Alot of the things in that tank are not available here but thanks for the picture....... ***)

bonebrake

Debbie, I'm sure there has to be some

[hr]
reefers in Canada that could get you some frags of stuff your LFS can't. What are the laws in Canada on coral import or coral trading?

debbie

Originally Posted by Allterr
Right now, I am using 2x20w 50/50 compact florescents over mine...
That is very interesting. When I first started my 10 gal 3 years ago I bought the 10 watt bulb of that same kind. They fit perfectly into the canopy and gave quite a bit of light.
I then moved my saltwater to my 25 gal and that bulb I threw out as it was old and the 25 gal takes a different bulb. Well......I am now back to the 10 gal. I have to say I love my 10 gal for ease of maintenance and also the cost of lighting here oh man we pay 3 times as much anywhere in Canada for these dam things. Just crazy.
So I thought okay I am going to first try two full spectrum 5000k each bulbs. Great light and quite a bit of it too. The downfall, it still give to much of a yellow tinge for my taste. So I went to the LFS to get another two bulbs just as you have. Well, the 20watts are now way to big to fit into my canopy and the 10 watts are so tiny they are half the size of my old 10 watt. I was surely very annoyed to see this from Coralife.
So I have kept the full spectrum bulbs, I went and bought a blue plastic cover and have cut it to the size needed and it sits ontop of my glass top with the canopy over that. Perfect, I know have 50/50 for $1.00...

I also changed my background from black to blue and what a difference. It makes everything so much nicer in color. Everything in the tank is mostly that brick redish color. My mushrooms, anemone etc. Now with what I did I see the green tinge in the hairy mushrooms, the blue spots on the mushrooms and the green tips on the anemone.
One plus with these lights which are cheap to buy from a lighting store here everything has doubled in size including the anemone is about 3x bigger now. Has never moved from the rock I brought it home on and the maroon clown could not be happier.
I will take some pictures in a few days.
:jumping:

debbie

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Debbie, I'm sure there has to be some

[hr]
reefers in Canada that could get you some frags of stuff your LFS can't. What are the laws in Canada on coral import or coral trading?
We cannot bring in corals from the USA live animals are not allowed across the border. I now the LFS probably do it and that is how they can charge us so much. They pay peanuts for the stuff there and slam it to us here when we buy it.
In my immediate area there saltwater is not overly huge, cost is the main reason. There are a few places in Vancouver B.C. that I could get some stuff from but they charge a ridiculous amount for shipping. If I am ever in that area I will be sure to stop in but when I look at their prices on the web site they are not much cheaper than buying stuff locally.
I do however have a wonderful LFS that I deal with and when she orders her stuff for the store I have often placed an order with her and she gives me a pretty good deal.
With my 10 gal tank I really don't have alot of room for much. My GBTA is my main focal point and they get big, but my maroon clown just loves her home. All my mushrooms were single mushrooms that I started and they have multiplied quite nicely.
I know there are things I could get from her. One thing I really wanted was ricorida........sit down before I tell you this. She could not get them any cheaper than $50.00 CDN for a single ric..... :scared:
So I have passed on that venture and settled for the GBTA which she gave me a great deal on as she was shipped small ones and the saltwater people here want big ones.
One thing I am going to ask her when she gets back from maternity leave is about her ricordia's she has at home and if I could buy one from her tank. But that depends on the price she charges me for it.
So I think I have answered your questions. I am quite happy with what I have at the moment but it would be nice to be able to get the different stuff you all have a choice of there.

allterr

Well my bulbs are corallife...the screw-in type. (!0,000k) And with the 50/50, the actinic part does its job in "lighting it up with no tinge". I dont have the hood on the tank, instead I built my own stand and hung it about 18" above and left top open for better gas exchange....

allterr

Actually...I just lied......sorry...Just went and looked and my lights might be 10" above top of tank....(a regular 10 gal hood with 2 screw in type incandescent fixtures that I upped the ballast and retrofitted with mini compacts...)

I know this thread is pretty old (3 years old) and much has changed, sooooo what is everyone using NOW to light their 10gal?

nano-newb1983

also of people are using the PAR 38 LED bulbs, seem to be really nice for 10gallons.
IMO, I would either get 2 or 4 bulb T5 set up. (I have a 2 bulb on my frag tank and corals love it)
or i would look into a 70w MH clip on light. ( i have a 70w on a 12 gallon nano and can keep any coral in)
Mostly depending on what corals and that u wanna get depends on what kinda light you should get