Lights!

snap32

Ok my tank has a depth of 33'' so i decided to go with 3 Hamilton Spot Light Metal Halide Pendant Lighting Systems, now i cant decide what bulb to get. Should i get the 14k or 20k? And do you guys think that this lighting setup will suffice? And what is the rule about gal/wat ratio?

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by Snap32
http:///forum/post/2873717
Ok my tank has a depth of 33'' so i decided to go with 3 Hamilton Spot Light Metal Halide Pendant Lighting Systems, now i cant decide what bulb to get. Should i get the 14k or 20k? And do you guys think that this lighting setup will suffice? And what is the rule about gal/wat ratio?
Don't use the gal per watt ratio. A 400w setup will allow you to keep anything. I would go with the 14k. The 20k is too blue for me and 14k is white with a tint of blue.

snap32

Ok so what about if i did 2 14k and one 20k. Have 20k in the middle and the 14k's on each side. ? Would the color tints blend niclely together?

bizzmoneyb

the higher the K the bluer the light. but the lower k is better for coral growth.
14k seems to be the nice happy medium for looks and growth. thats what i use. it also depends on the bulb too, not all are equal.

mr_x

what are the 3 pendants? 400 watters? if so, you can use 20k lamps and have excellent growth. the reason people feel that the lower kelvin bulbs are better for growth is because they tend to have more PAR and a full spectrum. if you choose a 20k bulb that has a good PAR rating, you'll have the same good growth and a very sharp, deep water look.

aztec reef

V, don't forget the shimmer/ripple effect that lower k rating bulbs have to offer..
20k's are useless in tanks of 30" (or lesser)depths..High kelvin rating such as 20k are primarily used for aesthetic reasons ONLY>>
Thus making corals more appeling to the human eye, due to the enhanced vibrant and flourescent color appearance they emit under high k rating lights..(flourescents)
In actuality a kelvin rating of 6.400-10.000 are the most desirable for growth.( Thats similar to Natural sunllight's k rating.. @ the tropics, around 12:00pm.
Photosynthesis of zooanthellic algea thrive in peak PAR ratios.. this peak PAR ratios are found generally on 6500k..( however 6500k sucks, aestheticlly speaking!)
20k's might deliver same PAR output. However that is not necesary true for a shallow tank...
(due to the fact that infrared light gets absorbed the deeper the light must penetrate).
Long story short: you get plenty of PAR from 10ks.
so if i was u, i would get 1.= 20k and place it in middle.. and the other 2.= 12k.....That will cover all bases...
20k for the dusk/dawn /aesthetical/lunar effect.
12k's for day light/growth/ & health's sake..
btw< what size of tank???

mr_x

i have 20k bulbs on my tank and have a ripple effect as well. that doesn't have anything to do with color temp.
my tank is also shallower than 30" and my corals all thrive. useless?

aztec reef

I also get a ripple effect just by holding a regular 80w bulb over tank.(regular desk lamp).sodium flavor.
But that ripple effect is rather meek in comparison with any other type of color temp.. Even same wattage with different color spectrum doesn't compare.
Like i said actinics and high kelvin or infraer spectrums get absorbed.. So in other words, a 20k is useless in a shallow tank. Let me refrace that.
20k are less efficient on PAR output compared to the whitish spectrum of 10ks. The reason is obvious.. colored spectrums have less reflection/radiation.(whatever u wanna call it).
If color temp was the conductor of growth. Then, reefs wouldn't thrive in shallow tropical waters. Hence the proximity of stonies to the surface..Which can only mean 1 thing, That this are high-light intensity demanding organisms..
90% of corals use zooxanthellae as their primary Energy source..
Lets just say that the best light set ups are the combination of Natural sun light spectrum ,(10ks) plus the lunar spectrums..(14-20k). Just like Nature.

mr_x

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2875532
I also get a ripple effect just by holding a regular 80w bulb over tank.(regular desk lamp).sodium flavor.
But that ripple effect is rather meek in comparison with any other type of color temp.. Even same wattage with different color spectrum doesn't compare.
Like i said actinics and high kelvin or infraer spectrums get absorbed.. So in other words, a 20k is useless in a shallow tank. Let me refrace that.
20k are less efficient on PAR output compared to the whitish spectrum of 10ks. The reason is obvious.. colored spectrums have less reflection/radiation.(whatever u wanna call it).
If color temp was the conductor of growth. Then, reefs wouldn't thrive in shallow waters. Hence the proximity of stonies to the surface..Which can only mean 1 thing, That this are high-light intensity demanding organisms..
90% of corals use zooxanthellae as their primary Energy source..
Lets just say that the best light set ups are the combination of Natural sun light spectrum ,(10ks) plus the lunar spectrums..(14-20k). Just like Nature.
so, basically, you are saying this:
Originally Posted by Mr_X

http:///forum/post/2874466
what are the 3 pendants? 400 watters? if so, you can use 20k lamps and have excellent growth. the reason people feel that the lower kelvin bulbs are better for growth is because they tend to have more PAR
and a full spectrum. if you choose a 20k bulb that has a good PAR rating, you'll have the same good growth and a very sharp, deep water look
?

aztec reef

Not really..
I said 2 10ks and 1 20k.. (best of both worlds)
You said 20k, was that 3 20ks or just 1.. but he has three pendants, right?
It doesnt make much sense to get all three the same k rating. Does it?

mr_x

sure it does. if you want the whole tank to look good, you use 20k's. if you want part of the tank to look washed out and yellow, use a 10k there.

aztec reef

10ks dont look yellow to me, they look like a bright white light with a little bit of blue flavor in it.. Now add the 14ks and u get a bright blueish tank. pleasing the human eye and the coral's eye.
I could handle 12ks and even 14ks. But not Dubs..
I dont consider a dark blue tank with 3 20ks appealling, its looks shaded.. Im getting depressed just thinking about it. Im trying to picture it in my mind and all that comes to my mind is A. tanning bed & B. a Rave club.. U know the ones that use uV light, makes everything glow, even your teeth... I personally dont care for the techno twins or the neon glow-in-the-dark light sticks..

mr_x

ok. then you have your opinions. try both snap32, and see which one you like better. either color can sustain a reef, providing you use quality components (good bulbs, ballasts and reflectors)

spanko

I find that the Radium 20k has what I consider a "brighter, paler" blue than other 20k bulbs. They really throw off what I consider the color looking under shallow ocean water, say around 6 - 10 feet. According to my eyes anyway.