Limestone screening

rusting

Has any body out there used limestone screening for their tank? I bought 40 lbs. at Home Depot for $2.65. IT passes the vinegar test. It's very dusty, so I rinsed it real good, and put it in an old 30 gal. I've got in the basement. It cleared up nicely over night. Nice white look for the bottom. I put in some rubble this morning.

chipmaker

I just have a hard time to use such stuff that is quarried and mined and is exposed to all kinds of stuff during quarry to bagging, and what else it may contain as well., and putting it in my fish tank and then wonder what is causing such and such to happen. It oculd have had fuel oil, gas, human waste and a whole lot of other stuff on it and still in it that a rinseing is not gonna wash off. It may be a calcium caarbobate based product but its quality control issues may be a problem....Then again it may work just fine, but I am not taking a chance with such.

rusting

I also though about that. Thats why it is in old tank in the basement. Just wanted to see how it looks and feels, no livestock in that tank. I'll see how it goes after afew weeks.

chipmaker

Thats a good idea just play with an empty tank for awhile. I may have sounded like a kill jo
when it comes to home brew or experimenting, but I certainly am not. Hey someone has to try it, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon so it seems. Not counting any potential for unwanted contaminants, it would be interesting to see how it acts compared to arogonite sand, in heolping with buffering and stability, and how it fares with bacteria and other bottom type pods etc.

rusting

Thanks for your input chipmaker. I think we are on the same page now. I retired 1 1/2 years ago and am always looking to save a dime where I can. It will be an intresting project, plan to go real slow. So far everything looks good.