Limited Edition Corals

baytran7

I see this hobby going more towards people trying to aquire more LE corals, some of these LE corals are not more colorful or more prettier. I think there is an exception in the superman (kudos to vip for the hookup) monti as this coral does justify the price with it's bright colors but is pretty common. Why do you think people shell out over a hundred bucks for a 1/2 inch frag? What factors make a coral limited?
If you have a LE, please post a pic.

S

scoobs

you have to think.. some ppl that keep reef tanks have more money than they can spend so it really dont matter.

I

indydirk

Originally Posted by Scoobs
you have to think.. some ppl that keep reef tanks have more money than they can spend so it really dont matter.

Speak for yourself, I don't have any LE's and I can barely afford to keep my tank running. Don't have more money than I can spend, most others that I know don't either. We save and buy what we want when we have the money, which for me, is not very often. Just thought I'd throw my "2 cents" worth in.

S

scoobs

Originally Posted by indydirk
Speak for yourself, I don't have any LE's and I can barely afford to keep my tank running. Don't have more money than I can spend, most others that I know don't either. We save and buy what we want when we have the money, which for me, is not very often. Just thought I'd throw my "2 cents" worth in.

lol i am a nurse.. I dont make much money. I said some people.. i wish i was one of those people.
My tank has been up for 9mo now.. and i have one frogspawn one clam and a ton a green star polyps.. and some zoas..
a purple tang a jawfish and a shrimp..
If it were up to me i would have MH lights a nice refuge sump and fully stoked with corals... and about a 800 gallon tank :thinking:

viper_930

A lot of LEs do have very nice colors, much more than pics will show. Some just have a rarer color such as pink polyps. Or the species in general is rare, such as the monti setosa.
The LE list is pretty old, too. Back when it was started and the first few corals were added, nicely colored SPS were hard to find. Now with aquaculture and mariculture bright SPS are easy to get, and even wild pieces look very nice. One example is the pokerstar monti. It looks exactly like the superman monti but with bright green polyps. I would say the only reason why it's not an LE is because the pokerstar is being aquacultured and is available as entire colonies for the same price you get a 1/2" frag of an LE coral.

jimreemts

I think the idea that most people in this hobby have more money than they know what to do with is way off. I think the reason we buy LE corals is for a few reasons; It is awsome to have something in my tank no one else has seen, LE require research and hunting to find what you want (which is part of the fun), Most of them require more care and time ( which give me greater pride in knowing how hard I work on my tank). I could keep going but this is some that pop into my mind.

S

scoobs

myself i could buy a 8$ mushroom and 99% of the people that come over have no idea what it is.

baytran7

that GS os amazing, does the tie dye of colors in the base follow the entire branches or do they just stay on the base?

viper_930

Right now they're just on the base but it's slowly growing onto some of the branches. I fragged a few branches a couple weeks ago and mounthed them around the base of the coral so the green pigments will spread more too.