Limited to a ten gallon refigium...Worth it?

jpawson

Hi,
After gaining some knowledge on the benefits of a refigium, I would like to incorporate one into my 120 reef setup.
I am having space problems with my current setup, and I can only add a ten gallon aquarium. My current sump is a 20L tank.
Containers to the side of the tank are not an option per the wife. I tried. (I have to stay in the stand) Urggg....but she did let me set the tank up in the living room!
Will a ten gallon refigium add any benefit to a 120 gal tank?
If so, should I use sand or just live rock and plants?
I would appreciate any thoughts on this......Thanks

nm reef

Any refugium that is properly set up and functioning is a positive!
A 10 gal with a low flow rate...a good lighting source...macro algaes and LS/LR will work fine. Bigger would be better...but a small one will still provide benefits.
I'd say go for it...:cool:

nmreef@cox.net

birdy

I have a 6gal above tank fuge and it works very well at reducing nitrates and phosphates and is a haven for pods.

lesleybird

Hi, How about the 15 gallon high tank. It has the same base dimentions as the 10 gallon. They sell them at *****. Lesley

lesleybird

There is also a place on line that makes custom sumps in any size you like. You could go wide. I can't list it here so do a search. Good luck, Lesley

lesleybird

Ok, go to Google.com and type in the key words "custom sumps" and it will take you to the site. It is about the third or forth (maybe more) site listed. Lesley

djessem

I am relatively new to the aquarium scene but I have done extensive homework so here is what I suggest. The rubbermaid containers make good refugium and are quite inexpensive. They can be purchased with a high profile that do not take much space at the base and most will fit under the tank in the stand. Im not sure what your space restrictions are but the rubbermaid containers can be drilled and gasketed to do alot for very little money or space. I hope this helps

jpawson

Thanks for your help everyone. I was able to take a side of my stand apart and slip a 18gal rubbermaid tub under the tank.

overanalyzer

jpawson - make sure you have some bracing around it - I did not and my wife freaked - so I had to pull it out and double line it and put a brace around it (I made one out of PVC) and then put it all back to gether!!

jpawson

overanalyzer- how important do you think the braces are for the rubbermaid container? Reason I ask is I have already installed it and have put my stand back together. I filled it and added sand. It would be a pain in the A$$ to get it out again. I noticed minimal pressure of the rubbermaid agianst the framing in the stand- its not pushing too hard against anything. How important is it that I brace a 18gal rubbermaid?
By the way thanks for bringing this up!

overanalyzer

I don't think there is too much need but it does make me nervouse. do a search for rubbermaid and then my name and you will see some threads where I asked and some people have some outrageous bulging rubbermaids.
What you could do is build one out of PVC and cement three sides and put it around the refugium and PVC Cement it into place without removeing the whole set-up.