Limpet...Safe???

sdascher

Greetings,
Attached is a pic of a Limpet. I see no hole on the top so I am assuming that it is a "Cellana"" ???? Anyhow.... I am a little confused. I have read most of the threads here on Limpets, and I have read about them in the books that I have. I am seeing a 50/50 on if they are "really" safe for your reef tanks. Some books say that they are Reef Safe and useful in the aquariums while others say useful in tanks without small polyps and stoney corals. I found this little bugger sitting in the middle of some yellow polyps, so I have removed him. I think that I have seen one or two others, so maybe I should seek out and remove???? I prefer to ask people with experience!!! Best source of information there is!!
Thanks for any advice!!

bang guy

If the "keyhole" is there then they should be watched but are mostly safe. If there is no hole at the top then they are 100% reef safe.

ozadars

Its absolutely limpet, i dont have any from LR but i brought 2 of them from sea, put them on right, left or back glass they wont go somewhere else because of the corners of the tank and they ll clean your glasses all day long, i love them, i ll bring 5 more

kpogue

I've had a keyhole limpet in my 30 for over a year now w/no problems. I added two frags to it (fingers) over the weekend and this AM they were totally gone - eaten right out of the rock! Could the keyhole limpet be the bad guy? Nothing else in the tank that would even care about the frags....

ozadars

Hi, in 2 days my hermit ate 2 limpets, i dont how he is getting them, limpets are top of the tank!!! I m bored of that hermit, actually a very interesting and colourful hermit, all people who come our house sees it and wow, and i bought it for 40 USD!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: First i ordered one but i didnt said the size so they send the large sized!!! I cant take out a hermit that a paid 40 dolars for him :D He is eating snails (big ones) actually i dont have any snail problem because i collect my snails from sea own by own but i dont want him to eat my snails, there are thousands of shells around!!! He loves walking shells, he also brokes my orange zoos!!! I dont know what to do???