links/ads ?????

jennythebugg

since when have certain words here been links to stuff ? i saw it this morning on the ink thread the word ''ink'' and just now on the minivan thread the word Chrystler(sp) is it just me ? has the site been hacked? or just sold out

reefraff

You might want to go back to the threads and see if it still happens, could be your computer is infected with a trojan that will automatically create a link to recognizable words. I know a lot of websites have that feature built into them but I don't see it here.

D

deadly_legend

i've noticed it on my home computer, is it like, green and double underlined for you? because if so thats how it is with me for certain things lol. maybe i shouldnt let my mom or grandma use my computer anymore....since everytime they do something bad happens.....

dragonzim

I agree with ReefRaff... Probably some malware rather than an actual virus. Do a google search for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Download and run that and see what it finds.

D

deadly_legend

have you been getting bombarded with pop ups also? if so we got the same thing lol.

D

deadly_legend

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3173324
Yeah... uhh... you two need to clean up your computers.
lol yea...but i want to know why its acting this way...lol, every single time i get back from a weekend with my dad, my computer is jacked up
and idk what my mom and grandma do on it lol but yea...i agree, we need to clean them up, and fast

scsinet

Originally Posted by Deadly_Legend
http:///forum/post/3173336
lol yea...but i want to know why its acting this way...lol, every single time i get back from a weekend with my dad, my computer is jacked up
and idk what my mom and grandma do on it lol but yea...i agree, we need to clean them up, and fast

They click on every popup, open every email attachment, and any other scheme that's out there.
The way you solve this is by creating a separate account that is not an administrator ("limited user") for them to use. It is practically impossible for any lasting damage to be done when a user is logged in as a limited user.
Frankly, it's best for you to run the same way, and only use the administrative username when you need to install something, but your other users is a good starting point.

scsinet

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3173373
It's not a virus or malware. I've seen these "tags" for months on various web sites - MSN, MSNBC, CNN, etc. It's a new inventive way for advertisers to get you to look at their stuff. It was created by a company called Vibrant:
It is if this behavior is observed on swf.com, they don't embed this type of advertising. Certain malware can inject it into any site.
I know what you're talking about though.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3173350
They click on every popup, open every email attachment, and any other scheme that's out there.
The way you solve this is by creating a separate account that is not an administrator ("limited user") for them to use. It is practically impossible for any lasting damage to be done when a user is logged in as a limited user.
Frankly, it's best for you to run the same way, and only use the administrative username when you need to install something, but your other users is a good starting point.
Define "limited user". Standard accounts are good for users who you don't want to add applications, change settings, or delete critical system files. However, I don't know of any "standard" Windows account that can keep viruses, malware, trojans, or spam from getting on a computer. I deal with network and system attacks on a daily basis. I have seen and played with some of the nastiest stuff you can find on the internet. I guarantee you I've seen code that can break into even the most secure PC out there. The only secure way to completely keep this type of code off your machine is to disconnect it from the network. Of course that's not even an option in today's computer environments. The next best thing is detection software and a firewall.

scsinet

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3173467
Define "limited user". Standard accounts are good for users who you don't want to add applications, change settings, or delete critical system files. However, I don't know of any "standard" Windows account that can keep viruses, malware, trojans, or spam from getting on a computer. I deal with network and system attacks on a daily basis. I have seen and played with some of the nastiest stuff you can find on the internet. I guarantee you I've seen code that can break into even the most secure PC out there. The only secure way to completely keep this type of code off your machine is to disconnect it from the network. Of course that's not even an option in today's computer environments. The next best thing is detection software and a firewall.
Nothing protects 100%, obviously.
The same limitations of standard users that prevent them from installing software and making changes are the ones that stop the malware. Since executables run by the interactive user have the same rights as that user, they also are restricted from making changes. Standard do not have permissions to change almost all folders except %userprofile%, and do not have permissions to alter HLKMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentversionRun (and similar keys).
Without these two permissions, it's very difficult for most malware to set itself up to be hidden or run automatically on startup. About all it's able to do is copy itself to the user's temp folder and place a shortcut in the startup folder of the start menu.
The nice thing about that is that all you need to do to get to a point where the malware isn't running is log on as a different user.
Of course, some malware can take advantage of exploits in the OS and get in that way, but most malware writers assume that the user who is logged in has administrative rights to the system, because in 99% of the cases, it's true.
If you want a success story... at my company we were dealing with malware infections basically daily, and a huge virus outbreak would occur every few months. About 3 years ago we stopped giving users administrative rights to their machines. We have not had one virus outbreak since, none. Malware... we occasionally (like once or twice a year) see something that detects the lack of admin rights and put itself in the temp folder, but removing it takes moments now rather than serious time.
In short, I've never seen the scheme work wonderfully at stopping 99% of all intrusions, but I'm not saying it's perfect.

jennythebugg

hmm well i dont click on popups and stuff - but my antivirus was up .i am not computer saavy so that 'splains it for me ,i would figure they would use something a little less lame