Lion Eating.

98lude

I know lions eat in the dawn/dusk. is it possible that a small lion would eat pods running around in my tank?

98lude

i was but thankfully today i saw him eat some frozen mysis so now i dont gotta resort to live feeders. i was just curious as today was the 3rd day i had it but it hasnt shown any interest in the foods until today.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by 98lude
i was but thankfully today i saw him eat some frozen mysis so now i dont gotta resort to live feeders. i was just curious as today was the 3rd day i had it but it hasnt shown any interest in the foods until today.
Good! Lions will go on hunger strikes from time to time. Now is the time to get some variety & vitimins into hi diet. I like to defrost frozen or freeze dried foods in some Selcon, or a similar supplement, I'm convinced vitamin supplements have a lot to do with long-term success with fish. IMO; especially lions, and other fish, that don't get the "innards" of their normal prey in captivity.

A small lion can go for a week without eating so don't get too too worried. But after 4 days I would try the feeders. Make sure you use ghost shrimp if you can as they are they most healthy live food you can use.

98lude

i have a small 10 gallon tank i was thinking of making into a FW planted tank with a few FW fish so i can use that as a backup just in case to stock a few FW feeders. i just find using frozen food much more convienient then anything else. thanks for the tips

hammerhed7

If you are forced to use feeders I would use ghost shrimp, they are a little better than freshwater fish, try to feed them some type of marine food before feeding them to the lion, with the long term goal being the lion eating foods of a marine origin. Try a piece of squid on a feeding stick, my lions love it

Try feeding shrimp cut up in pieces soaked in garlic & vitamins. I usually spend one night preparing the shrimp then freezing it in ice cubes so all you have to do is put a cube in water to melt, then feed. Easiest less time consuming way. My lion loves it.

98lude

i caught it eating some pods running around in my tank last night so that explains a little why it doesnt eat much food when i try to feed it.