lion fish and bamboo shark??

reelemin

i have a pretty big lion fish hes about 10inchs long and also a bamboo shark that is about to hatch any day..im scared that the lion will eat the shark while hes small...what do you think??i may have to get rid of the lion..

E

eric b 125

+1
plus you dont want to have a shark pup in a tank with other fish at first. i'm no shark expert but what i do know is that the shark pup should be put into a smaller tank until it starts eating.

crimzy

Originally Posted by TonySi
http:///forum/post/3002890
Not a good combo.Shark could brush up against the lion.
I've heard this a lot and have to disagree here. I kept my epp with my large lion for about 3 years with no problems. One of my rays has been with my lion for even longer. My shark and ray would/does brush up against the lion all the time with no ill effects.
My lion is so docile that the other fish actually "lay" with the lion... along its wings or over its spines. The lion always lowers its spines when the fish swim over or brush against it.
I guess there's always a certain risk of a lion sting but IME, it's pretty minimal.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/3003290
I've heard this a lot and have to disagree here. I kept my epp with my large lion for about 3 years with no problems. One of my rays has been with my lion for even longer. My shark and ray would/does brush up against the lion all the time with no ill effects.
My lion is so docile that the other fish actually "lay" with the lion... along its wings or over its spines. The lion always lowers its spines when the fish swim over or brush against it.
I guess there's always a certain risk of a lion sting but IME, it's pretty minimal.
Yeah; I think this is pretty common behavior for large lions with fish they've come to tolerate. Other fish seem to know when a lion is in a defensive posture. Not all the fins are venomous; ask the triggers who love to attack them.

reelemin

ya hes great i love that lion dont want to get ride of him..he pretty calm but he likes to eat alot!!im not worried abot the spines just him eating the shark..he has ate a good size trigger before..

kmart189

Why don't you put the shark in a smaller tank til he gits to be a decent size. You won't need a big tank til he is safe anyway. I would grow the shark out a bit then go for it! Then keep the lion very well fed! I had my eel bump into the spines of my lion and the lion laid down the spines, grouper lies right next to him and the lion actually pushes the grouper away with his mouth instead of stinging him.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by reelemin
http:///forum/post/3002884
i have a pretty big lion fish hes about 10inchs long and also a bamboo shark that is about to hatch any day..im scared that the lion will eat the shark while hes small...what do you think??i may have to get rid of the lion..
I know nothing about keeping sharks (I do know a little about a shark eating a big permit seconds before I could land it). But, I think these eggs hatch sharks that are 3"-4" and can't imagine a big lion not eating it. I have two that would love it; no real bones, what a treat!

luv4jjt

I would definatly find a way to seperate them. My lion is able to eat things more then half his size so a 10 incher would definatly be able to swallow a 4 inch baby shark.