lion fish??? reef??

adio_54

is there any type of lionfish that can be kept in a reef tank? im new to this so please help me.... :help:

jam1e

Any lion can be kept with corals as long as there aren't any fish small enough to fit into the lions mouth and some lions eat shrimp if the lion is big enough

v-lioness

Lions will not bother corals but they may eat shrimp, crabs and smaller fish. Lions are messy and produce quite a bit of waste, with the appropriate size tank and filtration it can be done. Provide plenty of hiding spots and overhangs for the lion to retreat to, especially if you have high lighting.
Is there a certain lion you are looking for?
What size tank do you have?
Kaye

S

shark bait

a dwarf would be best so things like clowns and other small reef fish will not become food. A common red or black lion will get to large and one day eat your tank. Be aware of how large some lions can get, do not buy a lion thinking you will put it in another tank.

adio_54

oh well i was thinking if it was the only fish in my tank would it work??? like a dwarf?? or not even

v-lioness

If this is for your 29g, you could go a Fuzzy Dwarf, but it might become tough to keep up with water quality overtime, especially for a reef tank. That is something you may want to consider before adding a lion.
Kaye

jon321

Also, just to throw this out there...it can be hard to feed a lion with all the liverock and coral that is typically found in a reef tank. Id highly recommend training the lion to eat frozen food in a separate tank and get it accustomed to comming to the surface to feed before moving it to the reef where feeding live foods would be near impossible and training to take frozen would be very difficult.
Jon