Lion Fish

ccg24

Ok I have just started doing a marine aquarium and most people tell me I can put a lion fish with anything that will not fit in it's mouth but i wanted more advice. ok I have a 45 gallon tall with 2 3 striped clowns fairly small a yellow tang and a coral beauty angel, the lion fish is no bigger than a baseball with its long fins, will it be ok with my clown fish? I don't plan on the lion fish staying in that tank but I want it before My other tank is completely set up, is it ok?

ccg24

Oh and a choc. chip star, if that matters any too.... since it's so slow moving I thought it would matter

lion_crazz

I am guessing you are considering a volitan then. That would be a very bad idea, in my opinion. Not only will he get 15" eventually, but he will eat your clowns. A much better choice would be a fuzzy dwarf lion.
I also hope you plan on moving the yellow tang. He will soon get very stressed in such a small tank and most likely develop head and lateral line erosion.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by ccg24
ok question to Lion Craze, you said that my 45gal is insufficient for my yellow tang, I was told by the fish expert there at the LFS that I could have 3 in there but it's a risk of over crowding them, I guess I'll have to conveince my g/f that we need to turn the 135gal into salt, or just buy a new 160 haha she'll be happy about that,, yeah right.... but really your the first to mention that to me.... are they fast growers?
Yes, I am sorry to say, but your LFS lied to you in order for you to spend money at their store. Three yellow tangs in a 45 would be riduculous! A yellow tang could start out in a 45/55 gallon tank, but it would very quickly outgrow it because they are fast growers due to their constant eating. A 160 gallon saltwater tank would look beautful, as you could get a volitan lion then, as well as keep your yellow tang very happy.

ccg24

I wish you would have said to buy, the new 160 that I want, but I'll tell my gf that we have to anyway... haha thanks for the info if I have any questions hopefully you don't mind if I direct them to you? Thanks

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by ccg24
I wish you would have said to buy, the new 160 that I want, but I'll tell my gf that we have to anyway... haha thanks for the info if I have any questions hopefully you don't mind if I direct them to you? Thanks
What do you mean? I did say that you should get the new 160!

Anyways, either way, upgrading is definitely something that I would plan for.
If you have any more questions, I am more than glad to help you.