Lion fish

Jclaeys

Hey everyone I am new to the hobby. I started in fresh water and the moved to salt I assembled a tank and let it cycle for 2-3months and finally on Sunday I bought a lion fish he is eating good but I just noticed he is breathing just a bit heavy so I tested the water and it is perfect. Any thoughts
-thanks

jay0705

Define perfect? What are your readings? How much water flow? What/ how often are you feeding?

Jclaeys

Define perfect? What are your readings? How much water flow? What/ how often are you feeding?
I am feeding frozen krill once a day the readings have ammonia nitrates and nitrites all at 0 the flow was very heavy so I turned the wave maker off and now it seemed to help a bit but he is still using his mouth to breathe

jay0705

Krill is a horrible choice, nutrition wise. What kind and size is the lion? Lions only need to eat 3 times a week. I feed my dwarf frozen prawns, live ghost shrimp, jumbo mysis, and strips of sw fish. Haddock, cod, ect.
Your tank is fairly new, but 0 nitrate is odd. You should be showing some

Jclaeys

Krill is a horrible choice, nutrition wise. What kind and size is the lion? Lions only need to eat 3 times a week. I feed my dwarf frozen prawns, live ghost shrimp, jumbo mysis, and strips of sw fish. Haddock, cod, ect.
Your tank is fairly new, but 0 nitrate is odd. You should be showing some
I thought krill was kinda wired I wanted to get silver sides but the guy and the store said to start with krill. He is about 3inch and I wasn’t zero it was just below 20 I just didn’t want to confuse any one. One thought I had was maybe he was just nervous because I was so close to the tank. Thanks

jay0705

Is it a dwarf or volition lion. No worries about confusion, most of us shouldn't get confused too easy lol. How did you acclimated aswell?

Jclaeys

Is it a dwarf or volition lion. No worries about confusion, most of us shouldn't get confused too easy lol. How did you acclimated aswell?
it Is a black volition I drip acclimated it for 40min it is weird though because he looks and acts fine he just seems to be breathing a bit heavy. Thanks for all the help by the way

jay0705

Gotcha. What kind of filtration/ water flow do you have?
A volitan shouldn't be hard to feed at all. Definitely cut down to about 3 feeds a week tho. Variety will be your best bet long term.
Np on the help. Corals i would be no help lol. Lions are one of my favs

Jclaeys

Big canister I know they are a nitrate factory but I have been trying to find a sump I have a UV sterilizer a protein skimmer and a wave make but I shut it off so he wasn’t constantly fighting with the water

jay0705

Gotcha ok. Yes if you clean it weekly your fine. Otherwise nitrate trap lol.
How big is the tank? You seem to have a good idea what your doing so please don't say 10 gallon.

jay0705

Ok excellent. Just keep up on your water changes bc lions can be messy. If its eating krill you should have no issues w other foods. You can even try shrimp from the grocery store. Make sure its sw shrimp tho and raw. You may even find some small smelts there aswell