Lion on eating strike

fallnhorse

Hello
I have had my lion for two years now coming the 18th of january. He's a red violitian, (russel). I have him in a 100 gallon tank. Good parameters, been doing very well. I have soft coral, and mushrooms in with him. The hardest corals. They all been together for about year and half. They are doing good up to last week. I went to feed my lion and he's not hungry. Last week when i feed my clarki with him he would even steal a couple of flakes from him. His personality is usually like a big puppy dog and watching me to come a feed him. I feed him twice a week. But this is the first time since i got him that he doesn't like krill, shrimp, or beef heart, or mytis shrimp. Usually he is all over them. But this tank is new to him, well i set this tank 6 months ago when i moved. It has crushed coral and instead of sand. I think the copepod population is higher and wonder if he might be hunting them. He's very actively watching the substrate for any movements. Or can he eat bristle worm? My clarki i've watch eat them before. He's in excellent health just not interested in food. I'm going to soak some fresh shrimp in garlic guard and try some other stuff little every night.
I just can't get over how he can not be interested in krill and food. Then the week before he was hungry for krill and would eat flakes. But i do see him scanning the bottom in the prediator like stance like when he's about to snap for the piece of krill on top of the water. Oh i have tried dangling krill in front of him on a stick. My next step is going to try a piece of krill on a 30lbs fishing line. 30lbs is stiff enough to push through the krill and force the food below the water. Plus he don't notice the line i'm pretty sure he notices the tube with krill on it.
Any ideas to make him feed. I will never resort to live food. I seen too many lions dying from pets store recommending guppies and gold fish.

This is not too unusual for lions to do so don't be too worried yet. A full grown lion can easily go a week or two with no food. Keep your water right and like you said soak it in garlic, that may help. I doubt hes eating pods, and even if he is he should still want the food yours offering because I'm sure you know lionfish don't know when to say when. Besides that don't rule out live feeders. Feeding him ghost shrimp isn't bad for him at all for a short time and if it prevents him from dieing isn't that the best thing?

fallnhorse

i've tried some guppies but i think they are too small to make notice for him. The LFS only have gold fish and guppies and i know how bad gold fish are. I started to medicate the tank with melaflex(sp). Make sure he doesn't have a bacteria infection. Cause this is the first time in 2 years he has had fin damage. Also his eye has a ever so slight, perhaps, little cloud of the eye, kinda of. It might have also look like that and i'm just screwtinizing him. He just broke two of his big fines. That happen also when i got him but they healed up in about 2 months. But i can't believe how he is watching the bottom of the tank, it's like he's hunting.
I've been trying krill, shrimp thawed , guppies, and mystis shrimp. Both with garlic with out. I do know about feeding them to death also. He's been feed only portion meal. Feed twice a week to be plumted but not bulging.
Water parameter
1.025 refactometer
79f
8.2 ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 nitrate

fallnhorse

Still nothing, his fins are healing rather quickly. I'm going to try a gold fish. Only see if he's eat one just to try something. If not this weekend i'll go 80 miles to the big cities and try to get some ghost shrimp. I'm really worried. I see on other posts lions dieing from this.

about two months ago my lion went almost three weeks without eating. For no reason, then one day he was his normal self pacing the tank waiting for me to feed him. He will come around....

fallnhorse

I put him in his own 75 gallon tank. I think the clarki was over bearing even though the lion is bigger. I tried some krill, shrimp beef heart, etc. He seems more interested. I put some gold fish in for a couple of minutes today and yesterday. He watches them and wags his tail as he does before he strikes. But kinda bug not really interested. i got some ghost shrimp ordered for him from the LFS. The tank has been established for about 4 months now and it's only him in it and live rock. Best parameters possible. Hope he snaps out of this.

fallnhorse

yes i know all about how bad freshwater fish are for him. Just trying to entice him. I'm having the pet store to get some sliver sides. Still nothing today try a feeder. He watches but hasn't strike at the feeders. Gets close and follows them. Unfornutely the nearest saltwater store is 80 miles. My LFS store quick handling SW
. Really made about that one or i could get a damsel easily.